Promises, Lies.

When I wake up, I feel someone moving next to me.

Jesus Christ, it's Toby. Why is Toby here? Memories of last night flood into my mind. The Grille. Him telling me about that night. That hug which led to us sleeping next to each other.

I shuffle my way out of his embrace, realizing that those hours were my first bit of real sleep in the last few days. Standing up I feel dizzy but I get so much more dizzy when I find Melissa standing in the doorway with her arms crossed and jaw clenched.

It's 1:09. Shit.

"Having fun with rapey over here?" She asks sarcastically.
"He told me everything and I promise you he didn't do it." I try to reassure her.
"Spencer, you can't trust him. I care about you too much to let you hurt yourself like this." I roll my eyes.
"Care about me? You've never cared about me before! Why start now?" I whisper-shout trying not to wake Toby up.
Melissa just storms out of my bedroom, slamming the door loudly. I spin around to see Toby starting to stir. His hair is ruffled and he looks so innocent and cute.
Wait, cute? I shake the thought of my head.

He rolls over to look at me, resting on his elbow.
"What's this?" He asks, pulling out a familiar orange bottle.
"Oh, nothing it doesn't matter." I stammer, rushing over to make sure he doesn't see.
But he does see. And, using his muscular frame, pushes my hand away so he can see. I'm so embarrassed I hide my face with my hands. He simply holds them, lifting his face so close to mine, eyes full of worry.
"What are you doing to yourself, Spencer? These pills are dangerous!"
"It's only a few, so I can get through finals. I promise I'll stop when they're over."
"Really, do you promise?"
"I promise, Toby." I stare into his deep pools of blue eyes and he stares into my plain brown ones. I get lost in his beauty. Suddenly, his hand is in my hair, softly stroking. My hands simultaneously go to his face, his neck. He leans in.

This is it, what I've been waiting for since the first time I saw him.

Then he's out the door. Again.

I'm left on the bed, feeling suddenly lonely and cold, still feeling his hands in my hair. But I still have that English essay to write so I swallow another pill. Just until after finals.

---

I see him standing outside homeroom so I walk up to him, wanting an answer.
"Toby-"
Before I can finish he's walking away from me, about the 3rd time he's done this in the few days we've spoken.

I feel like I've lost a part of me with Toby gone. He confided in me, trusted me, when he couldn't trust anybody else.
I'm scared that Jenna will hurt him again.

I open my locker to get my AP history book out, only to find my pill bottle with a note attached.

Stupid, Spencer. Stupid, nerdy Spencer. I can help, you know, come to my room and you'll find what you're looking for.

-A

A? Alison?

My breath is caught and my throat seems tight. Why is Ali sending me notes? Ali is missing. Ali is probably dead somewhere, in a ditch, with a red liquid pillow around her head.

The last thing I feel is being pressed up against a muscular chest and arms holding me. The world goes black.

"Spencer? Spencer! Miss, she's awake!" I hear a familiar voice say. Emily.
"About time she's been passed out for 2 hours, the lazy bitch."
2 hours? Wow.
"I'm sorry.. Han." I groan. Concussion doesn't feel good.
"Would you girls like to accompany Spencer home for the rest of the day?" We all nod simultaneously and I groan again from the pain it caused.

After I am carried home by all three girls, we sit down and Aria who is the best at confrontation speaks up first.
"What happened, Spence? We're so lucky Toby was there to help you up." She's always worried about me so much, and I love her for it, but one thing sticks in my mind.

Toby?

He always seems to be there when I need him. If he doesn't ignore me this time, I might actually get to thank him.

For some reason, I feel protective of the fact that Ali reached out to me; so I just shake my head and reply to Aria by saying, "I don't know, I had a vision of Ali dead," I lie smoothly.
"Dead? We all know that she is, right?" Emily questions, furrowing her perfect brows.
"Emily! You can't say that! You never know." I say, thinking I've probably said too much.
"Wait, what? You haven't heard from her have you, Spencer?" Hanna, with her new obsession with detective novels, catches on quickly. But I don't want them to know.
"No of course not. I need to rest, I'll see you guys tomorrow?"
"Okay." They all say, kissing my cheek as a goodbye.

I look at the note I've held tightly in my hand this whole time, and read it again.

What does it mean "her room" anyway? Her bedroom? I can't go in there, her mother, Jessica DiLaurentis, kept it like a shrine after she went, still washing her clothes and bedsheets. It makes me feel uncomfortable.
I decide to look out of my bedroom window into Ali's room. I have a perfect view of the back of Ali's dresser, usually quite a horrible view as it would be covered in dust.
But today, there is an envelope attached to the back with the word;

Spencer Hastings.

As much of me is terrified for the fact that Ali is contacting me, the thrill of becoming the detective I've always wanted to be is very exciting.
But this isn't about me, this is about Ali, and how I need to help her.

Ha, how ironic, Ali asking for help.

A/N: This was kind of another filler to get onto the spoby/detective bits but hey, ho, hope you enjoyed! Comment and vote and that if you actually do enjoy it.
Love you all <3

25 August 2015