Chapter 20: A Rough Patch

I pulled up to address I had scribbled on the napkin. It was an apartment complex that was in a bad area.

God, I’m going to regret this was the only thing that was running through my mind. I had to remind myself that it was for Chris, which made it a little bit easier to ascend the concrete steps.

I knocked on the door and he opened it. “Glad you didn’t chicken out.” Rayan said and opened the door a little more for me to enter. His place was filthy and empty, just like him. There were boxes scattered everywhere, the carpet was stained, the cheap couch had holes in it. The couch was the only actual piece of furniture I could see, actually. The walls had writing all over them and were also stained with some kind of… whatever.

I sat on the couch uncomfortably.

“Sorry we couldn’t make the deal on the phone. I wanted to see you in person.” He grinned at me and walked over in front me and crossed his arms. “What kinda deal you talkin bout?”

“I don’t care, I just want you to leave Chris and I alone.”

“Oh really? Is that what you want?” He mused. God I hated him. “Well, I don’t care about you, really. Chresanto’s the one I’m after. Speaking of, he didn’t come here with you did he?”

“No.”

“You better not be lying to me, Melanie.”

“I’m not.” I said and he went down a hallway. He came back with a gun in his hand and my heart started racing.

“So here’s what’s gonna happen. I’m gonna go downstairs, and if I see Chris in your car, I’m gonna shoot him. Then, I’m gonna come up here and shoot you. Got it?” He said. I shook my head. Thank God I was stupid enough to come here alone.

He came back a few minutes later and chained his door shut. He threw the gun on the cracked kitchen counter and folded his arms again. “So what makes you think I want anything from you?”

“Look, I’m just trying to do whatever I can to-“

He put his hand up. “Save it. Let me think about it for a minute.” He said and picked up the gun. He started pacing back and forth in front of me. “Should I just shoot you now, or should I do what you’re asking. Hmmm…” And my heart was beating so hard I thought it would pop out of my chest.

I pulled out my cell phone briefly to check the time and he snatched it out of my hand and threw it at the wall so hard I was sure it would be broken. He reached down and grabbed me by the arm and dragged me back to what I assumed was his bedroom. There was nothing in it but a bed with white sheets and a video camera on a stand facing the bed.

Oh god.

Oh god.

Oh my freaking god.

He turned me around to face him and pulled me close to him. So close I could smell the liquor on his breath. “So. You’re gonna do whatever I tell you to for however long I tell you, and I won’t hurt you or your stupid boyfriend.” Before I could object he took his shirt and pants off and then took my shirt off. I could feel my eyes stinging. “Get on the bed.”

I couldn’t say anything, because if I did I would literally start sobbing. But I was too frozen to move.

“GET ON THE FUCKING BED.” He yelled which made me jump and slowly sit on the bed. He walked over to the other side of the bed and picked something up off the floor. Handcuffs.