3.3

"I'm so proud of you" David smiled at us both. "It took you a night to do something the C.I.A. has been trying to do for months"

"Rookies" Ross scoffed playfully. "And it always helps to have someone with a brain"

I flicked my hair. "Thank you; but seriously, it's true"

"Why would it not be? You're both clever people" David grinned. "So clever I'm giving you the next week off. You can stay here, come back to the compound- whatever you wish?"

I looked to Ross. He shrugged. "I'm staying here for a bit then going back to train, is that okay with you?"

"Yeah, I'll stay" I nodded and he smiled.

After saying our goodbyes and watching Jack get arrested, we returned to our hotel room.

Ross Lynch

There was a slight mood change ever since we left David. Athena looked as if something was eating at her; but I couldn't lay a finger on it and neither could she.

The moment we stepped into the lobby, she kicked off her heels and held them as we moved to the elevator. I took one side and she took the other, leaning on the wall and looking out of the window.

The way Vegas illuminated her face only added to her beauty. It's not that she wasn't beautiful without them, but she looked amazing.

I gestured for her to exit the elevator first and she obeyed, walking along to the door. She collected the one letter at the front.

"Is everything okay?" Her eyes flickered to me. I nodded to the letter.

"Oh yeah" she glanced at it, and then settled it down on the table. "I'll read it later"

"It's almost 1am, it's late enough" I smiled.

She grinned. "In the morning then, idiot"

"Well, goodnight love- I mean, Athena"

"Well goodnight to you too, love" she walked away laughing.

+++

It was into the early hours of the morning when I heard a scream that caused the hairs at the back of my neck to stand on end.

I was up at once, running to check on Athena. As I passed the living room, I saw her sat on the ground bawling her eyes out. I ran to her. "Whoa- What's up?!"

She tried to form words but she wasn't able to. I grabbed her a glass of water, which calmed her sobs but never stopped her tears.

"Now, tell me what's wrong? Are you homesick?"

"I wish it was that" she sighed. "A few weeks back, I noticed it became harder for me to remember things and focus so I went to a doctor at the compound. He checked me out and put me forward for an MRI scan which I had before we came out here; and these are the results"

I'm praying she's crying happy tears.

She took a deep breath. "I have Advanced Frontotemporal Dementia, and it says on the letter it's surprising how I'm still as active as I am; people as advanced as I am are usually more on the other side than here"

"Is there a cure?" Was the first thing I said.

She shook her head. "I can die at any time- may be in the next few hours, may be next month"

The thought sent a shiver down my spine, and I had to grab her & hold her against me. It was just beginning to sink in, and I felt horrified at the thought of Athena not being there for me.

"What am I going to do now?" She whispered. "I'm dying"

"We will make these the best times of your life, starting from now" I released her. "I refuse to let you sit here and cry your body mass in tears; we are sightseeing"

"You don't have to do this, Ross-"

"I don't have to, but I want to" I pulled her up. "Go get ready; but wait a bit, it's only 6am"