Chapter 6

LOAINE'S P.O.V

"Mom? You're home?" I unlocked the front door.

"Over here, sweetheart!" She shouted back.

"Come on in guys." I whispered. "Sorry for the mess."

"Mess? Are you kidding me? This is super cozy. Better than Toby's room, honestly." Connor punched his brother playfully.

"Have you had dinner...? Oh we have guests." My Mom politely shook their hands. "Hi I'm Lei's mother."

"Hello Ma'am. My name is Toby, these are my brothers, Connor and Riley." He gently asked her to sit in the living room.

"Lei? Loaine, honey? Who are they?" Mom innocently asked.

"Uhm, they're-" I stuttered.

"I'm Loaine's boyfriend." Toby cut me.

Yeah. Right. You should've never done that, dude. She was not ready to learn it. Mom just passed out in a second.

***

Few minutes later, Mom woke up. I had her head on my lap. We all sighed, relieved. So funny. Mom passed out because she couldn't deal with the fact that I came home with three uptown guys and one of them just so quickly introduced himself to her as my boyfriend. First thing first, I never brought anyone home as even a close friend. So that's new thing for her. Second, Toby and his leather jacket? He's looking too angelic to be my boyfriend. Maybe that's the main reason of my Mom's shocking reaction; the impossibilities.

"Ma'am, I don't want to scare you but yes I'm her boyfriend." Toby still tried to same way, only this time he almost whispered.

"Loaine..." Mom grabbed my hands.

"Look. Mom, take a deep breath, okay? Listen to me. These guys are brothers and together they're in a band called Before You Exit. We listen to them almost everyday. The Dangerous song I often play in my room, remember? They're signed to RCA where I'm working. And Mom, they need my help. So I'm also working specifically for them. I should play a role as his girlfriend because..."

I choked. It's not the convenient part to say.

"Because?" Mom seeked for an answer in our eyes.

"Because there have been very rude gossips about me being gay." Toby smiled softly. "I'm nothing against the gay friends or anything, but that's not true. I'm not gay. Just because my two brothers are seen having girlfriends by their sides and I'm not, paparazzi started making up such news about me."

"I see." Mom breathed out the heavy sigh. "So you help them, sweety?"

"Yes Mommy, I do. That's what you want me to do, right? To help people?" I softly swept her tears.

"I'll protect her from now on Ma'am. Don't worry. We all will. However, I might have to borrow her on my daily basis. I need her to be spotted on camera with me together, everyday." Toby continued his explanation.

"Whatever you need, if it's going to help you, I'm fine." Mom nodded at Toby.

Wow. One score for the boyfriend. Mom never released me to be occupied by a guy, ever in life.

"Thank you so much. For the return, we will try our best to keep you save and fulfil your daily needs. We have guards to check on you at anytime. So you won't ever feel alone." Connor held her hand.

"What?" I gasped. "You don't."

"Yes we do, Loaine. No argument." Riley grinded his teeth to sign me I should not start a debate here and now.

"Yeah Mom, they will." I gave in and hugged her with a hint of confusion.

"Thank you so much, boys. You save our lives too." Mom was sobbing. "It's been hard..."

"Since Dad's staying in Manila." I nodded. "Hey, we've talked about this. We're strong, Mom. Chill."

"Hahaha. I wonder if I've raised you right, little peanut." She slapped me playfully for my lame joke but cried in my arms after.

I smiled and bowed my head. In all seriousness, I was ashamed of this condition. They knew about my family too soon than I expected. I didn't want them to figure it all out this early. Just too fast. We haven't even spent our first 24 hours as boyfriend and girlfriend, and with this, I didn't know what to expect from it. But we're already here. The second Mom let the boys in as part of a family, she has been freely talk and tell stories about everything.

Tonight, in this tiny home far from Orlando's expensive neighborhood, we had our first dinner together. Mom and I couldn't do any better than some affordable mac 'n cheese and orange juice.

But one thing. The brothers looked genuinely happy. Toby himself, he made my Mom laugh until she couldn't give herself another sip of juice. I'd never seen her this happy since her last wedding anniversary before Dad left.

Deep down inside, I cried. Complicated. This should just have been about $15,000 I tried to earn for our living. But this all has turned so personal before I could warn myself.