1

Yes, this story has been inspired by the programme My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding but you'll soon find that it's nothing like it. In fact, you could say it's the complete opposite.

Enjoy ^_^

x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x..x

Chapter 1

It was the day I turned sixteen when mum finally passed on to me her emerald earrings. She was given them by her own mother on the day of her marriage, who had received it from her mother, and it had been carried down the line since several generations ago.

They were beautiful. They shined a glossy green and were shaped into the small, soft curves of a tear drop. They were probably over a hundred years old but they somehow managed to capture a subtle gleam that made it look precious and authentic. I held them carefully in my hands and stared with wide eyes.

Without a doubt, this piece of jewellery was worth a lot of money. Five hundred quid? Maybe one thousand? But I knew mum didn't hand this down to me for selling purposes. She'd be mad alright if I even suggested the idea.

So instead, I locked it away into my safe store at the back of my cupboard and made a mental note to bring it out again for my wedding day in the future. I didn't need to be fussing over old, expensive earrings now anyway. I had bigger things on my mind.

Tonight I was going to Derrick Carder's house.

And if you knew who he was, you'd understand how horrible I was feeling right now.

Let's just say Derrick was not the kind of guy you'd want to spend your birthday with. Why? Well...it's a long story. A long, tormenting and embarrassing story but ever since then, Derrick and I were not the same with each other anymore. That day, that small, short moment of our lives just changed his attitude towards me forever. How? By simply making it awkward. Every move, every look, every single thing that he did just somehow made it so uncomfortable to be in the same room as him that I literally had to make an excuse all the time about needing the bathroom in order to escape the unbearable tension.

I think and I hope that it's only me and him that know the reason behind it because otherwise, I'd die of embarrassment just hearing someone repeat the past incident again to my face.

And you're probably wondering at this point what exactly happened between us and I'm warning you now, it was nothing pretty.  It all happened 6 years ago when-

"Sheila, are you listening to me?"

I suddenly snapped my head towards mum who was sat in the front seat of the car whilst dad was driving on the motor way. She was looking in the mirror to check if her makeup was in place but then turned her attention to me. "I said you have to be on your best behaviour tonight."

"Mum, I know, I'm not a baby,"

"So then I'm expecting you to nicely say hello to everyone and be polite when people ask you questions okay?"

"Okay," I huffed, resting my head against the car window.

"Oh and Derrick will be there, you two were such good friends weren't you and it's been a long time since you've seen him."

Okay, the latter was true but the part about us being friends was way off the facts. Sure maybe he had been rather nice to me once upon a time, but that was before the little incident took place. After that, I felt like a thousand icicles were being stabbed at my chest whenever I saw him.