Chapter Six

It was soon to be the summer holidays. I couldn’t wait. Six weeks of relaxing and doing absolutely nothing but hanging out with my best friend.She had very little hair left now. Only a short stubble, which she always kept hidden under a bandana. She didn’t have the blue one anymore. Some people in our form thought it would be funny to take it. We never found it. So now she has a purple bandana. I think it’s much nicer than the blue one. But I can tell she misses it.

She’s had two operations so far, and she has another two to go. The doctors said that if everything went well she’d be back to her old self in no time.

She wasn’t in school on the last day before the summer holidays, she had to go into hospital. And she had to stay in for a week. After school, I went to her house and asked her parents if it would be possible for me to go and visit her. I must’ve timed it just right, because they had just called my parents to see if I wanted to go and see her.

After half an hour of weaving through traffic, we arrived at the hospital. I found her room and walked inside. She was laying on her bed asleep. I quietly walked over and sat on the chair beside her bed.

She looked so peaceful, just lying there. I wanted her to jump up so we could go outside. But I also wanted her to remain there and get better. I must’ve been there for more than two hours, because soon the nurses were asking all the visitors to leave. I took one last look at her and went to meet her parents so they could take me home.