Chapter 9- This is The Moment

Let the night come, before the fight's won
Some might run against the test
But those that triumph, embrace the fight cause
Their fears then prove that courage exists  

Macklemore- Can't Hold Us

***

"So why'd you guys pick me?" I asked as I lifted a box and shifted it so I could see the other boxes in front of it. Aiden turned but kept his eyes on the file he was skimming before he looked up at me and threw it behind him, the folder finding the table easily.

He shrugged and lifted another box in my way as I carried one effortlessly to the table where he dug inside. "I dunno. That's Zack's job. To find and recruit people who would be good for the job," He said, finally answering me. I lifted the cover off one of the boxes marked 'Agents B-F' and skimming the papers with my hand. "I think we were supposed to recruit you as a teen but something happened with the system. You killing your step-dad brought a lot of attention back to you. We have technology that listens for keywords like that over whatever communication tech the police force has." He pauses, ripping a paper off from the stapled pile and placing it on the table before shaking his head at me. "You're good at hiding it."

"Hiding what?"

He nodded at an agent as she drifted into the room and carried a box away before answering. "Your personal life. I'm not gonna lie, I didn't know you were abused at all until you confronted me about the not-so-standard FBI uniform. I was gonna flash you the Secret Service badge before I realized that you had to be drugged."

I let out a unfeminine snort. "Yeah, thanks for that."

So maybe I was slipping around Aiden. My facade slowly melted every time I spent time with him. But deep down, my instincts were battling whether or not to trust him. I still let my cold tone slip and a normal one replace it despite half of me screaming not to, but I still kept my mask up so he couldn't read me. And I knew it killed him.

"Where are we exactly?" I asked, realizing I didn't know a thing about where we actually were.

Sure, I knew we were in 553's base. And I knew we were somewhere on the surface of Earth although the secret base stereotypes were underground. The window on the base center showed a clear view of a fenced garden and that was it. I hadn't been at the lower levels yet.

He turned and winked at me. "That's classified." He snapped the file in his hands shuts and tossed it on the table and grinned "I've always wanted to say that."

"Uh huh," I said absentmindedly, focusing more on him right now. "What's it like leading a double life?"

"All an act," He confirmed, nodding. He looked me in the eye as he chose his next words carefully. "Acting isn't hard when you literally go on hundreds of undercover missions. Don't tell Zack I told you that. Changing personas isn't hard for me either. I had to keep a cover. I stayed away to maintain a reputation as the person who can't manage to get anything more then a C+, becoming the person least likely to be leading a double life as a super secret teen spy. You know?"

I let go of the box cover and turned so I was facing him. Leaning against them, I crossed my arms and nodded. "Yeah, I guess it is easy to change personas when you have the practice. Playing the scared nerd was easy."

"I'll be honest. I didn't realize you were fit to be an actress," Aiden quipped, sticking his hand around the box, still not finding whatever he was looking for. He suddenly stuck his hand into the air as jolts of what looked like an electricity field surrounded the box, giving it a whitish glow. I couldn't resist smiling at the absurdity of the notion that a cardboard box had to be protected by an electrical shield.