Chapter 1

"Indescribable, uncontainable, you placed the stars in the sky and you know them by name...you are amazing God..." As I sing the words this morning, I can't help but feel different. I guess I should say distracted...but I'm not sure why.

It's a typical Sunday morning and, of course, I am at church with my family. But today, August 16, 2015, I felt weird. I notice I am staring at someone and immediately look away. You know, when you realize you are staring and they catch you? It's just feels rude and awkward.

But anyway, I look away and sit down as the children are released. They tear down the aisles, racing to the back, where they would terrorize their teachers. Gotta love them though. As the guest pastor walks up to the front of the church, my eyes travel involuntarily back to a head. I tell myself to look away but I can't. My eyes are drawn to this person. My mom nudges me and slips me a note that she wrote on the bulletin. "You sure are staring at him ;) " A winky face? Really mom?! I look at her and she raises her eyebrows. I glare at her. I look at the person again and finally register who it is.

Oh. It is a boy. He has dark hair. I can't see his face and I look to his right and see a beautiful woman that has to be his mom. She has the same dark hair and carmel skin. She turns slightly and looks at her son. She smiles at something he said and her shoulder shake lightly with laughter. I look away promising myself that I won't look again. Focus, Payton. I struggle to keep my eyes and ears on the sermon. Eventually the boy and his mother fade from my mind as the morning continues.

》》》》》》》》

When church is let out, I head to the back to get my brother as my parents and sister go to the car. At first I don't see him anywhere, but then I see him talking to a little boy his size. I walk over and stand by him. The little boy is explaining how his aunt's cat just had kittens. The happiness on the kid's face is contagious and I smile at him.

The boys look up and see me and my brother frowns. "You're here already?" He whines. "Yeah, but I would like to hear the rest of your friend's story," I say, looking at him. The boy smiles his toothy smile at me.

"What your name?" I ask him. "Cole," he says confidently. "I'm Payton," I say.

He smiles at me again and continues the story. "Spotsy, that's my aunt's cat's name, had seven kittens! She's letting me keep one. I'm gonna name it Frank!" He laughs at himself and goes on.

A boy walks up behind him. I know the second I see his face that this is the boy that distracted me the entire service. He taps Cole and says they have to go. Cole sighs and says, "I'll finish telling you next week, Lucas." They do a cute little handshake and then the boys stand. All the while I am avoiding eye contact with Cole's brother. Cole comes to me and gives me a hug. I hug back shocked at his forwardness. "Bye, little dude!" Lucas and I follow behind them.

We walk outside and the car is at the curb waiting for us. We drive home in silence, the only sound is the radio. My Jonathan Young CD comes though the speakers and I quietly sing along. Twenty-five minutes and half a CD later, we pull into our driveway.

《《《《《《《《

If you are reading this, thanks so much! Tell me what you think!!!! Message me or comment. I don't really expect much to come from this book. It's my first one...
I want to talk to you guys! Be my friend lol :)

~Meghan ♥