Chapter 7

Friday finally arrives. When I walk to my first class, I see someone walking beside me. Adam takes my hand greedily, and I pull away. "What's wrong?" He asks, still oblivious to my dislike. I roll my eyes at his question.

Zander walks up and gives me a hug.
"Hey babe."
"'Eyyy," I wink at him.
He wraps my small hand into his large hand. We start to walk, leaving Adam slack-jawed in the middle of the hallway.

》》》》》》》》

In history, all the talk of the past goes in one ear and out the other. Hopefully we won't have a test. I can't seem to focus anymore, thinking about everything and nothing at the same time.

Zander walks me to every class, sits with me at lunch, and walks me to my car. "Coming to the game?"
"I have to work." I frown, and he does too. "Oh...okay. Well, love you."
"Love you too!"
He leans down and gives me a quick peck on the lips. I laugh at the awkward contact. He smirks and rolls his eyes.

I hop in my car and head home. I have one hour before work. Driving home, I think about the recent event that have happened. I can't believe I got the attention of a (creepy) guy, got a (fake) boyfriend, and made two new 'friends' all in one week. Heh. Weird week.

《《《《《《《《

At home, I help Luke and Rose with their homework while doing mine. Luke has a minor meltdown, crying over a simple question. I sigh and try not to get frustrated as I explain to him how to solve it.

With about 20 minutes left before I have to leave, I grab my bag and head out, dragging my sibs behind. They are deposited at our neighbor's house, an elderly 'grandma'.

I drive carefully, and pull into the lot at five minutes before my check-in time. I walk in, sliding my time card in. I pull an apron over my head and take a deep breath, smelling the regular smells of Subway. Fridays are the most busy, because of the game. Before long, the place is packed, with me taking orders as quickly as I can.

"Welcome to Subway! What can I get for you today?" I continue saying this as the night rolls on.

《《《《《《《《

The crowd is thinning out when the bell above the door dings, and I hear two voices. It's Adam and Gray, Adam's best friend and the star basketball player. I guess they decided not to go to the game...

They walk up to the counter, and Adam locks eyes with me, greeting me with a, "Hey Babydoll." I choose the mature, responsible option and greet them just as I had everyone else.

"Welcome to Subway. What can I get you today?" I say, less enthusiastic than before.

"Um...I'll have the chicken club," Gray orders, smiling kindly at me. I've always kind of liked him. Ok...I guess admired is fitting. He seems to always be kind to others and he is not a creep. How do Adam and him get along? I feel Adam staring as I relay the information to Hannah, the employee-in-training.

Adam orders, then asks to talk to the manager. I shrug, then finish Gray's order. Then Adam's. "I'll get the manager," I walk to the back as they pay. "Hey. Someone wants to see you," I address Miguel, our lazy manager.
" 'Kay." He follows me to Adam. "Miguel! I just wondered if Payton here" -he wraps his arm around my shoulders- "could get a break and eat with me?" Adam says, staring at me.

My eyes widen and I shake my head, begging for him to say no. "Cuz we haven't seen each other lately and I miss my Babydoll...," he adds. "Sure. Until my boy Adam leaves, Payton, you're on break. A paid break. Be happy." Miguel said and saunters away to his office.

I sigh and plop down by Gray. "Hey Gray! How are you?" I ask, avoiding Adam. "Uh...I'm good. How are you?" Before I can answer, Adam interrupts.
"Hey Babydoll. Come over here."
"Nah. I'm good..."
"I'll tell Miguel this shouldn't be a paid break..." he threatens in a whiny voice. I walk around the table, and he pulls me into his lap. I get up quickly, but take a seat by him. He kisses me, and I almost gag. "Bro, she doesn't like it. Quit." Gray says, obviously catching on. Gray to the rescue. "Nah dude. She loves it. She's just playing hard to get." I burst out laughing. "Oh Adam. You finally figured me out....really... how can you be that dense?"

I stand to get my food and Adam grabs my arm and questions where I'm going. I snap and tell him. "Ooh. Feisty Babydoll." "Her name is Payton." I hear Gray telling him. When I sit back down, Adam scoots as close to me as possible. I cringe, knowing I can't do anything about it.

I see Gray stuffing his face, and say, "Like it?". I laugh at him, and he grins, showing his food. Ew. He finally swallows. "Yum." Adam eats, chewing slowly right by my ear. He offers some food to me and I decline.

My phone rings, and I see that it says 'BEST FRAND! ♥ :).' I answer quickly.
"

Hey babe."
"Oh! You answered. I thought you were at work."
"I'm on a break."
"Oh. Well hey..."
"Why'd you call?"
"Just cause...I don't know."
"Oh. Well...I...love you."
"Oh! Is Adam there?"
"Yeppers."
"Ah. Sorry. I love you too babe."
I smile. "It's Zander guys."
To Zander I say, "Gray is here also, babe."
"HEY GRAY!"
"Ow. Did you hear that?"
"Yep!" Gray says. "HEYYY!" He yell into my face. I giggle.
Zander snickers. "Ok...I'm in my car at the game. I'll talk to you later tonight."
"Yeah. Later. Love you. Bye."
He says bye too, and I press end. Adam just stares at the table.

"So...you two are dating?" Gray asks. "Yeah...heh..." I blush. "Awww! Congrats!" He smiles cheesily. "Thanks..."

Adam finally speaks up. "Let's go Gray." "Okay." When Gray stands, he winks at me knowingly. I smirk. Yay!

When they walk out, I check the time. I have ten minutes left...then I can go home! I get up and walk behind the counter. Hannah smiles at me. "Well, at least you don't have to worry about that freak anymore."
I snicker. "You heard all that?"
"Hard not to!"

Oops.

Two more people come in before I leave, and I let Hannah take them. When I sign out, I look at my phone to see a text saying, 'It's Gray. Good acting. I'll play along.' My eyes widen. 'U knew? Did he find out? :/ '
'Nah I got you.'
'Yay thanks!'
NP'
'See ya'

I add Gray's number to my contacts under the name 'Ally'. Turns out...Gray is on my side!

》》》》》》》》

Sorry if my updates are super slow. I've debated putting the story on hold...BUT...I wanna continue. I think. At least for a while. I love you guys!

Proverbs 17:17

A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.