Chapter 4

Hawkpaw's eyes slowley opened, everything a blur outside. He got to his paws and let out a large yawn, streching his body in the process. The darkness filled the den with just a crack of sunlight on the horizon. But the smell of the morning snow got the best of him. He walked outside into the snowy grass and sniffed the air. The cold chilled him to the bone, but in the way he always enjoyed. He looked back into the den, just barely seing Echopaw's empty nest. "Hmm." He whispered. He walked away from the den without a word and started towards the ledge. "I bet I know where Echopaw is.." He looked up the ledge and bounded up the slippery slope. Once h got o the top, he tregged through the snow to one side of the territory, where she was most likley to be. He paded over to where the large pile of cotton once lay, but it was gone. "What the..?" He said concerened. He walked over near the side of the border and saw her. She had a rope in her mouth and was walking around a tree. He paded over to her and without a thought, "Hey." he said, startling the she-cat. "What are you doing here!?" She shreiked, her voice a bit muffled through the rope. "I could ask you the same thing." he retorted. She glared at him and tied the rope around the tree. "There. Its done." Hawkpaw looked at her and tilted his head. "Whats done?" he asked, not knowing what to expect. She looked at him and smiled. "Our time has come." He pricked his ears and then lowered them. "Right.. that." The sun rose behind them, perring through the trees, waking up the earth from its deep slumber. The sun sparkled off the thin layer of snow that layed all around camp. "Lets get back." He said. She noded and walked down the ledge there, other than by the entrance. Hawkpaw looked at her, then looked at the side where the entrace was, then looked back at her. "Hey wait up!" He squieled. He hopped down the slope to the bottom and walked into camp by her side. Almost everyone had been awake since dawn, concluding that it still is. Hawkpaw looked around at the many cats sharing toungs and others going out on patrols. "Deck the den with holly!" Someone yelled. A she-cat with holly coveres circles around her neck ran through camp, putting the holly covered circles around other cats necks and smiling. "Deck the den with holly!" She shouted again. Everyone traded the holly covered circles to eachother, some plain, and some with many flowers that went around their paws. Echopaw looked at Hawkpaw and smiled. "Today, we will end it all. Together." She said chearfully. He looked at his paws and murmered. "Yea.." -- The sun was high and so was Echopaws spirits. They sat at the top of the ledge. "So how do you plan of, 'rideing the clouds' down to earth?" Hawkpaw asked sarcasticly. "You'll see." She responded calmly. She looked over and sighed, shaking her head. Taking a pawstep further, she licked his head. "Hey!" he yelled. She laughed. "You cant keep yourself clean, so I helped you. Your welcome." He sighed and stepped to the edge. "I'm ready." She noded and cut a rope with her claw, releasing lots of cotton. She pushed Hawkpaw off the ledge and jumped with him. They hurtled toward the ground, 'clouds' all around them. "Whaaaaaaaaahhha!" Hawkpaw shreiked as the ground came closer. Hawkpaw clinched his eyes and grabbed Echopaw's paw tightly. They hit the ground, bouncing in the air and falling back down to the ground. Hawkpaw got to his paws , every inch of him trembled. "I...i'm alive?" He questioned himself. His heart beat out of his chest, for he had not known what to think after what had just happened. Echopaw walked up beside him. "We lived." She said sadly. She looked at him and smiled. Everyone around them looked in the sky. "Its snowing!" Someone yelled hapily. "It's just cotton smart one!" Someone else yelled. Everyone looked at us funny and got back to what they were doing. Echopaw looked at Hawkpaw once more and smiled. "Listen, hear me out on this. Lets die in a year. Lets spend a whole year having fun and travling and stuff. Then we will go die. The right way." He sighed. "Alright. The right way."