Chapter 1

"Ok, now crouch down like this and keep your tail still, but above the leaves. Or else the prey will here you coming. Now-- Hawkpaw? Hawkpaw! Are you even paying attention?" Hawkpaw looked over at Echopaw as she trained with her mentor. "Hey Hawkpaw!" she yelled. He tilted his head in question. "What would you do, if you died tomorrow?" He shrugged. "Im not sure.. nothing really--" "Boring!" She yelled. "Hey Mudpaw! Hollypaw! Silverpaw! What would you guys do if you died tomorrow?" She yelled. Hawkpaw pricked his ears at their comments. "Learn to swim." "Have kits!" "Jump off a cliff." "With who?" Hawkpaw blocked out their words and looked at his angered mentor. "What?" He said calmly. "What? What?! I'm trying to teach you the hunting skills you need, and here you are takling to your fellow apprentices who are trying to learn! Now your going to be a bad hunter at best and I will be the one to blame for it--!" "Go go get out of here! Theres a clan meeting! Go on get!" Foxpaw yelled. I sat down and looked at my paw as everyone fled from the woods to the large tree where the meeting took place. The fur bristled on the back of my neck as Echopaw's words echoed in his head. "What would you do if you died tomorrow?" Echopaw came and sat down next to the apprentice. "I...I didnt mean to frighten you." she whimpered. "No.. it's fine. It's not that." he sighed. She looked at him and tilted her head, urging him to talk. Letting out a low growl in his throat, he got up and started towards the tree. She sighed and walked towards the tree. As she passed him, she slapped him in the face with her tail and she took off into the croud.