Chapter 8 - Cheetos

We were walking. It's 11:14 pm. We haven't left the fair yet, although it closing. We have been in Los Angeles for about 3 weeks now. That means Ethan, Gray and I will be going back to New Jersey and leaving this place behind all too soon. I don't want to leave. What about Cameron, Aaron, my best friend Matthew, little cutie Shawn...Hayes. I looked down at our intertwined finger and smile. I look up at Hayes' eyes and see the flickering reflection of the fair lights on his pupils. I want to cry. I don't want to leave everybody. Matt and I are ridiculously close, like siblings. Shawn isn't like my brother, he's like that best friend that you always wish you had. Cameron and Aaron are like the dads to everybody. Hot dads might I add. Im just friends with everybody else but that doesn't mean I'm not going to miss them. I thought it would be hell going on this trip, being the only girl and all. But this is more fun than I've ever had at home, even with my friends Justin and Amber. I call them everyday but I can feel us drifting away. Even though me leaving is inevitable, I have to enjoy the last week while it last. I may not see these boys for a long time. I'm going to miss them loads.

"Where are you from?" I say looking at the ground as we walk. I need to know how far away he'll be once we all leave. My question came out a lot quieter than expected. Hayes looks down at me, staring into my eyes.

"What do you mean?" He furrows his eyebrows in confusion. I look up at him. "I mean where were you born, where do you come from" I said looking down.

"North Carolina...why, where are you from?" Hayes looked at me. I think he understood why I asked that question. Because we would be parting soon.

"It's kind of funny how we never talked about where we live" I laughed. "I'm from New Jersey" My smile turned into a frown. I mean yeah, it only takes about an hour to fly there but I still have school. This whole month I've been gone school has still been going. When do I have the time? Does Hayes have the time? Well I mean he does summer school so I guess. But I want to see Cameron and Matt and Shawn and Aaron. I want to see my best friends.

"HEY SAYES, LETS GO" We turn around at the sound of our 'ship' name. I look to see Aaron smirking and waving us over. I'm going to miss Aaron. Wait so is this going to happen? Every time I see anyone, am I going to think about how much I'm going to miss them. I hope not, that's depressing

"You coming?" Hayes says snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh right, yeah" I reply grabbing his hand again. We walk to Aaron's Range Rover and hop in the back. Same seating arrangements as last time. Cameron to my right, Hayes to my left. Aaron started the car and I could feel Hayes eyes on me. I didn't look at him but I smiled once I could feel him intertwine our hands together. We were sitting in silence for a while with quiet music in the background. I looked up to see Cameron looking at me.
"What" I chuckled

"Are you guys finally a thing" Cameron whispered so Hayes wouldn't hear. I looked down at Hayes' hand wrapped around mine.

"Yeah" I smiled "I guess so" I could see Cameron smirk and then turn his head to look out the window. I smiled to myself and looked forward.

We arrived back at the house. I'm exhausted from all this thinking. Also it's 12:30 at night. We hopped out of the car and walked into the house. I found my way to the kitchen since I was starving. I heard the other car pull up and Taylor, Nash, Jack J, Shawn and Matt emerged from the door. Matt's eyes caught mine once he finished petting my dog that was roaming around and he started walking towards me and smiling. He jumped up onto the counter.

"So did you have fun at the fair, Syd?" He was smiling really wide at this point

"Yeah...why are you so smiley" I laughed. Now I'm all smiley. Thanks Matt.

"I don't know, I'm just happy. I saw you and Hayes getting really close" He winked and I could feel my cheeks heat up.

"Oh shut up Matt" I laughed "it doesn't really matter, I mean it's not like I'm ever going to see him again in a couple days" my smile slowly faded

"Aww of course you'll see him, you can come with E and Gray at our next Magcon location" Matt gave me a sad smile

"But Matt, I have school. I can't afford to miss another month of school this year. And it's not that I'll just miss Hayes, I'll miss you and Shawn the most" I smiled weakly. Matt jumped off the counter and hugged me tightly and I hugged him back instantly

"This is a sad subject Syd, let's eat to take our minds off of it" he said letting go of me and looking through the cupboards. I scoped some Cheetos and grabbed the bag and made my way to the living room with Matt following close behind. I was about to stuff my hand in the bag to grab some Cheetos when a large hand took the bag from my grasp. I turned to my side to see Shawn running and jumping on the couch with the bag. Such a child.

I quickly ran after him and jumped on the couch while laying my legs on Shawn's lap. I yanked the bag out of Shawn's hands and started eating the Cheetos while Matt sat down on the floor in front of us. We were all enjoying each other's presence when I saw Hayes walk down the stairs. I smiled and waved him over. But then the unexpected happened, he glared at me and went back upstairs.

"Uh what happened to Hayes" Shawn asked looking at me

"I dont know, we were fine in the car and then me and Matt went to get Cheetos...that's it"

"Sydney I think you should talk to him" Shawn looked at me concerned

"Yeah I'll go do that"

"And we won't eat all of the Cheetos" Matt said poking my leg as I stood up. I walked away and laughed at what Matt said. I slowly walked up the stairs in frustration wondering why the fuck Hayes was mad this time. I swear to god if he thinks I'm going to "leave him" again just because I like to hang out with Matt, I will have had it with him.

I reach his room at the end of the hall which is opposite from my room. I knock and stood there silently for a minute to hear a faint 'hello' or 'come in' but I got nothing in response. I slowly twisted the door handle and pushed the door open. I saw Hayes lying on his bed, phone in hand.

"Hayes..." I spoke softly. As if he was sleeping.

"What"

I rolled my eyes at his response. I closed the door behind me and sat down on his floor.
"Why are you angry? And don't tell me you aren't, I can read you like a book, Grier" I looked at his with raised eyebrows, unimpressed that Hayes is clearly mad at me but made no effort to sort out the situation or talk to me.

"What makes you think I'm angry" he said not looking at me

"Jesus fucking Christ Hayes. I wanted you to sit with Shawn, Matt and I but you ran away, pissed might I add. And as soon as I got in your room you got all mad. Tell me why your angry so I can sort this out" Hayes scoffed at what I said

"Okay?" I said once Hayes didn't answer
"Well do you think I have a thing with Matt again, because if you think that, you need to calm down, he's my best friend" I replied. I was totally done with Hayes bullshit. I tried not to go off on him, completely anyway.

"No it's not Matt" Hayes said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"Then what?"

"You like Shawn, and I know it. You know I wanted to date you Sydney, I mean your really hot but no, you'd probably cheat on me or something because your desperate and you just want any guy. But honestly it would be an honour to date the Hayes Grier" Was he fucking serious. I rose from the ground in one swift movement, my blood boiling. This wasn't the type of anger for me to cry and be shaky, this was the type of anger where you're stone cold.

"Shawn and Matt are my best friends" I yelled at the top of my lungs. He rolled his eyes, clearly not believing me.

"I love Shawn loads but I don't like him that way. You just want to blame anyone for anything don't you Hayes? You're such a prick. And I really liked you but if your going to act like a fucking 13 year old girl on her period 24/7, I'm out" I yelled not breaking eye contact with him. I turned around and slammed the door behind me. Hopefully that would be the last time I ever talked to Hayes.

------------------------------------------------

Fyi I'm ending this book really soon