Prologue

Well, this is my first story here on Wattpad. I hope you enjoy it.

I can see him now. He’s beautiful. My arms ache to hold him, my heart yearns to be close to him. It’s killing me inside to restrain myself from him. I’m in love with him, I know it like I know the color of my own hair. I’ve never spoken a word to him in my life, but I just know. And as I stand here watching him, the wind blows and I wish to be the one pushing the long hair out of his eyes. This is not the first time I’ve stood on a hill and looked down at him. It’s creepy, I know, but if you felt the way I did, you’d be up here, too. The cold breeze ruffles my fur, but does not chill me. He would be terrified of me, to see me this way, in this form. But I always look at him this way, standing on a hill on the edge of a thick forest. He’s far away, but with my eyes it’s like he’s right here with me. Oh, how I wish he was. This is much the same as the first time I saw him.

  I was running through the trees, my strong heart pumping blood quickly to all of my limbs and then back again, my breathing barely labored. It was always exhilarating and freeing to run, to scratch the itch. My eyes captured everything in front of me, a life saver so I never hit a single tree or nicked a single thorn.  Suddenly, I burst out onto a small hill I wasn’t expecting and found myself teetering on the very edge, fighting with gravity for a little balance so I didn’t tumble down a fifty foot drop. As I carefully backed up, I looked out and saw that I was gazing over a school, a high school full of kids standing and walking around and talking and laughing. For a moment, I just sat back on my haunches and stared at all of the people, wishing I could be one of them. Just a normal kid, with a normal life and a some what normal family.

  My tail twitched and swished back and forth and my ears swiveled to hear what was going on down there, but I couldn’t pick up much besides a few random bits of conversation and loud laughter. Unfortunately, my hearing didn’t extend that far, but of course my eyesight did, so it was a lot like watching a movie on mute. I could hear the bell ringing in the distance, signaling for them to all go to class I assumed, and watched as everyone started to move towards different areas of their campus. I skimmed the crowds, looking for nobody in particular, when I spotted him. Instantly, I felt it inside me like a weight colliding with my chest, knocking the breath right out of me as I stared. He laughed at something his blonde friend said and his smile was like the sun, it burned into my heart, leaving it aching. I watched him as he walked, his stride easy and carefree as he laughed some more. Oh, how beautiful he was, dark hair and light eyes, soft skin begging to be touched. But then he was gone, and I felt like the world was ending. It was the most terrible feeling, like my heart had just been torn to shreds, like I’d been stabbed and left to bleed out. It made me want to howl in agony.

  I turned and ran back through the forest, all the way back to my home where I Changed back and quickly told my father what had happened. He was silent the entire time I spoke, only nodding occasionally. When I finished, he sat thoughtfully for a moment, and then he smiled a little and told me what had happened to me. I had literally found my soul mate, the person that was made for me.

  “But how can this happen?” I had cried. He only said that it just happens, there is no control over it and there was nothing I could do about it.

  “It happens in humans, too, son. But, for some strange reason, in werewolves and even in vampires, when it happens for us it’s elevated to a much higher level. Nobody knows how it works, or why. It’s just part of being alive. Werewolves, like you, have it even harder when they find out their Soul Mate is human.”

  “Forever now,” he explained, “you will love this boy more than your own life. You will never be able to love another being as much as you love him. You’re bound to him and will always protect him until the end of your days.”

  I was afraid of what my father would think of me, but it wasn’t my fault that my Soul Mate was another guy, like he said, there was no control over it.

  “I’m sorry, Father,” I whispered.

  He placed his rough hand over mine and with the other grabbed my chin and made me look up, meeting his eyes with my tear filled ones. “It is nothing to be ashamed of. I don’t care who you love, as long as you do love. Don’t ever hate. Love is beautiful, no matter what form it’s in. Hate is ugly in all forms, remember that, son.”

Thanks for reading!