Chapter 6 - Distractions

Is this... Could it be... I think it is... An update? It is! It has been way, way, waaaaay too long, and I'm really, really sorry about taking forever to update this. It's been nearly a month! Stupid writers block... Well, here it is, I hope you like it ^.^

Friday, November 28, 2011,

            It’s been a week and four days. Eleven long, hard days since I’ve talked to him. It’s killing me to have to stay away from him like this, but it’s my only choice. If I’m with him, they go after him. If I stay away from him, they go after him. The only reason why I’m keeping my distance is because it’s safer for him if he doesn’t know about any of this. Eventually, he’ll have to know about me, but the longer I can prolong the truth, the better. Because they know he’s important to me, they just don’t how important. They’re grasping at anything and everything to try to make me weak, to distract me from the Pack. But I swear to God if they try to hurt him in any way, shape or form, I will kill every single one of them without hesitation…

            For about two weeks we didn’t speak at all, which really confused Kris. But I wouldn’t tell her exactly what had happened, just that we’d gotten into a fight after school when I tried to talk to him. Of course, she felt bad and blamed herself, saying that if she’d never made me confront him about it, this never would’ve happened.

  And, obviously, that was completely untrue. Not that my saying that mattered in the slightest, she now felt one hundred percent entitled to fixing this “mess”. I told her to just give him his space for awhile.

  Unfortunately, since she wasn’t allowed to go talk to him, she kept begging me for details about the fight. For some strange reason, I could tell he didn’t want anyone to know about what he’d said. I didn’t know why exactly, but I just knew.

  Being away from him was painful. I felt like a piece of me was missing now. A part of me that I didn’t even know was empty had been filled when I met him. His bright light illuminated that dark place, but now he was gone, and I could feel the darkness clawing at me.

  Sighing, I tucked my hands behind my head as I stretched out on my bed. The house was empty, both the kids at friends houses, so I was completely bored. Lazily, I reached over and grabbed my iPod off my night table, jammed the headphones in my ears and started blasting As I Lay Dying. My eyes slid shut and I drifted off into thought, not even noticing when the door opened, which made me jump when I felt somebody sit down on the bed and put their hand on my leg.

  I yanked out my headphones as I noticed it was Krissy, who looked a bit sad.

  “What’s wrong?” I asked her, sitting up. I didn’t even wonder how she’d gotten in. I’d given her a key years ago.

  “I’m just…Upset, I guess. If I hadn’t made you confront him…Well, you’d probably be out on a date with him or something instead of sitting here on your bed…”

   I sighed heavily. “Kris, this isn’t your fault, for the millionth time. It’s nobody’s but his. When he decides he wants to get over himself, he’ll let us know.” It came out a bit more bitterly than I’d meant.

  She nodded, looking down. But then suddenly, she brightened. “Hey! There’s a party tonight, at Jimmy’s house. He invited us, I just forgot to tell you, until now. We should go!”

  I quirked an eyebrow at her. A party? I wasn’t the kind of person that usually did parties… But a little distraction time from my nagging thoughts wouldn’t be a bad thing.

  “Okay.”

  Krissy grinned widely. “Let’s get you ready!”

  Inwardly, I rolled my eyes because I knew my entire wardrobe would end up strung across my room before it was time to leave.