Chapter Six

I jumped down from the ceiling into the center of the horde, sinking my knife into the face of the closest one. My feet hurt from the fall, but I ignored the pain as I lept out and fired off into the intense amount of the undead. Hesitation was not an option.

Blood splattered all over my face in a warm, sickly way. The sound of the splatter may have been morbid and grotesque, but it meant we were closer to beating the overpowering wave. I mentally applauded myself for wearing sleeves as I took out the Creature latching its jaws onto my arm. My knife came out with the gray brain matter, making my stomach curdle.

I swung my arm around and threw the knife into the face of a newcomer to the bunch. Pre-Hybrid, I could never get the blade to stick... now the strength was oh so satisfying when it came to saving my sorry butt.

My gun took out any undead I couldn't manage to keep away with a blade. I finished my awful job and assessed the quiet room. Something was wrong, my other half knew it before my human mind could process it.

I felt the Creature behind me before I saw it.

It launched itself at me, grabbing me by the waist and throwing me down onto the tile.

Tucker- no It, had gleaming eyes while it scratched at me. I forced it as far away from my face as I could with shaking arms; a pitiful attempt at keeping it from biting open my throat. I felt my arms quivering with the weight of the figure pinning me to the floor. But something happened- strength was flooding over me.

With a final shove, I heaved it off of me and buried one of my smaller blades into the center of its forehead. I grinned on the impact, knowing I'd made it through this particular round. A sinister grin was on my face while I wiped the thick blood on my pants.

For a minute, one measly minute, the light left its eyes. And for a second, my heart sank.

I'd killed him.

Tristan and Alex had made a run for the door, already ambling into the van. The engine came to life as they gestured for me to come, oblivious to the missing person.

Declan wasn't with them.

Why should you care? Kill them all and take the van- Wait what? My brain was having a civil war, debating over killing people I cared about. What was happening to me? Something was wrong, very wrong. The Imogen I knew would never think in this awful way.

Then I heard a scream, and I ran to him.

Declan had four on his tail as he bolted my direction. I shot down two right off the bat, blood and skull bits hitting the walls and floor. When one got close to me, I used my knife to save ammo.

But the final one caught Declan by the legs and dragged him across the floor. He screamed, the kind of scream you make when you know you're going to die and that it's all over. His eyes pleaded with me while my feet decided whether or not to run as far as I could. He looked at me like I was automatically gonna leave him to die. The look made me want to cry.

For whatever reason, no matter what Declan had done to me, I shoved the undead monster off of him with force I didn't know I had. It flew across the floor a few feet, like I'd thrown it. Its head hit the floor and cracked, leaving the Creature still. The bite was affecting my strength- that much was obvious. I felt like I was becoming one of them.

Snapping back to reality, I shot down our remaining attackers before they could get to us and yanked him onto his feet.

"You saved me?" He asked in disbelief as we ran for the van out front.