Warming Up

She had him pinned. Her face-her lips-were just inches from his. And it really didn't help that she was breathing that hard.

Jughead tried to calm himself. This was Betty here. He took a deep breath and opened his eyes.

Betty was grinning at him."That's what you deserve!" she said, dismounting. Archie was howling with laughter.

Jughead tried to keep his composure. He laughed. "Okay, Betty. I lost." She grinned at him, brushing powdered snow from his hat.

Jug turned to Archie and pointed. "This is a girl NOBODY should throw snowballs at." Archie and Betty both laughed.

"Say, Bets," Archie called, suddenly serious. Jughead looked up. "What are you doing tonight?" He didn't wait for an answer. "Up for a movie?" he asked. To Jug's surprise,

Betty didn't react the way she normally would have."Depends," she began, putting an a mittened hand on her hip. "Are you asking me because you want to go with me, or because Veronica is out with Reggie?"

Jughead grinned. Smart girl. Archie, on the other hand, looked less than amused.

"C'mon, Betty!" he half-mocked. "This is me here! Archie Andrews! You remember. The man you pine for?" Betty scoffed.

"Don't give me that. After what you did yesterday, I shouldn't even be speaking to you. And you're a boy, Andrews. Not a man."

Jughead laughed out loud, and when Archie shot him a glare, he felt almost guilty.

But it was true. Betty was right.

"Betty, come on!" Archie said, exasperated.

"No, Archie. YOU come on! You asked me out on a date. Nothing unusual: I pay for your gas and we drive to Pop's. We order a cheap snack. I pick up the tab, of course. Then Veronica comes walking in, and you leave. And what's more-she told me you offered to take HER to an expensive French restaurant!"

Archie didn't even have the sense to look embarrassed. Jughead rolled his eyes.

"Help me out, here, Jug!" he called.

"From her story, she's right! You're an oblivious jerk!" Jughead yelled, regretting it as soon as it came out of his mouth. Archie and Betty both stared at him.

After an agonizing moment of no one speaking, Betty grinned. Archie picked up his jacket, glaring at Jughead all the while, and tossed a snowball hard at his face before turningand stalking off.

Once he was a safe distance away, Betty turned to Jughead."You're the best, Juggie," she said, smiling. He scratched at his left arm nervously.

"Thanks, Bets. You're pretty great, too. I just can't believe Archie can't see that."

"How about some hot chocolate?" Betty asked. Her cheeks were tinted a slight pink, and Jughead didn't know if it was from his comment or from the cold.

The two teenagers were fighting a losing battle. The snow beat at their faces and they could hardly walk. It was up to their knees. Suddenly, Betty started laughing. Jugheadlooked up, alarmed.

"What's so funny?" he asked."It's freezing!" Betty giggled. "And you're not wearing gloves, a scarf, or anything!"

"I'm wearing a jacket," Jughead replied, raising his eyebrows and smiling. Betty unwound her scarf.

"Here. You need it more than me," she said as she wrapped it around his neck. Jug grinned.

"Thanks, Bets." They continued on until they reached fourth avenue.