Prologue

My name is Nic Hillier. Don't try to look me up in any database. You won't find me. I only exist in rumors and legends. I was kidnapped and taken from my home at the age of 14. I wasn't the only one. I believe there was possibly a hundred maybe more of us. We are known as Guardians. They look to me for guidance and leadership because I am the best. They call me the True Guardian and I call them my family. I am from Creve Coeur, Illinois. The government chose me because of something I did in the past but for some reason I can't remember it that well. They took a lot of my friends too. We make up the two best squads. The kidnapping and training of us was known as operation HAMMER. The zombie outbreak began after we had been training for two years. It was the year 2012 just as the Mayans had predicted. They came but after numerous experiments and countless hours of training we were ready. We were bigger, stronger, smarter, and faster then any regular human could ever be. We have been fighting for two years now. Most of the fighting has been overseas but now it has spread to the states and we have lost so many brothers and sisters. Even after two years of fighting we still know very little about the zombies. It is now March 8 2014 and it is the first time my team, Destroyer squad, has ever been allowed to go to our home town and see our families. We hadn't been allowed to say goodbye. In fact most of our families had thought we had run away, been kidnapped, or got killed. Some of us weren't even sure what we would find when we went home. I pulled a lot of string to get this for us. But my brothers needed this. These Guardians are heroes. Maybe even the greatest this world will ever see and this is our story.