Ch. 2 Life Without Nic

3rd person

Just before the evac speeds off, the last thing Brielle hears is Nic say, "BRIELLLLLLLEEEEEEE............" He says Brielle for a long time then it suddenly stops and she can't see Nic anymore just a growing pile of zombies where Nic was seconds ago. Then she is gone and the helo speeds off. The evac pilot pushes some buttons, says something into his earpiece, presses a button on his belt, puts the helo on autopilot, and asks her for her name.
She says, "Brielle Wynn"
He says, "I have a friend who talked about a Brielle a lot. Can I ask who that Marine down there was?"
She says, "Nic, his name was Nicholas David Hillier. My boyfriend."
The pilot says, "oh, so you were the Brielle he always talked about. I'm sorry for your loss. He was a brave and courageous marine and a great friend. My name is Josh by the way. Nic always told me that if anything ever happened to him I was to find you and to tell you that he is sorry for everything he did to you and that he would regret it till the end. Also, that being away from you hurt him and that he never meant to hurt you. And that it was slowly killing him inside for leaving you. Oh, by the way he spent a lot of money upgrading that dog tag to hold a message for you if something ever happened to him. They are like memory cards. I got an extra player around here somewhere." Tosses it to her. "Here you can keep it."
She puts the tag in the slot. A holographic image of Nic appears. "Brielle if you are seeing this that means I must of found you but I guess I didn't make it or I wouldn't have taken off my dog tags. I just want you to know that I love you and that I would rather sacrifice my life then let you die. If you woulda died all this, all my training, my fighting, all my victories would have been for nothing. I love you babe goodbye."
By that time Brielle had reached Nic's house and when Alex got on he was like, "BRIELLE!!!" With a big smile on his face. Then he saw Brielle and the pilot  were the only ones on the helo.
He said, "where's Nic?"
Brielle started crying, "he knew he wasn't gonna make it but he couldn't let me die. They got him Alex they killed him."
Alex said, "are you sure? Did you see him die?"
"There is no chance that he lived through that."
Everyone else got on and then they started worrying because Brielle was crying and Nic was nowhere to be found. He was supposed to be in the evac with Brielle but she was bawling, Alex was in shock, and Steve didn't wanna give them the bad news yet. So they didn't find out until they got to Florida. Steve assembled his new squad out of the survivors of Creve Coeur because they had seen the True Guardian, Nic, fight. So they had an idea of how the Destroyers, Nic's squad, fought. So Steve's new squad consists of Steve, Hunter, Tyler, Mitchel, Kelsie, and Alex. He called them "The Punishers."
When Brielle arrived at her and Nic's house she realized that Nic listened to what she told him about what she wanted in the house. It was the biggest house she had ever seen and when she explored she found that there was 3 main bedrooms. One with a king sized bed and 2 others with cribs. One room painted blue and the other painted pink. There were 3 bathrooms, 4 floors, 2 kitchens, 2 living rooms, a gym in the basement, 6 bedrooms, a trampoline, an indoor pool, an outdoor pool, a maid, a cook, a butler, and everything Brielle has ever wanted except for Nic himself. She is so sad and stays in the house alone for a long time and only allows Alex in the house. She blames herself. She mourns for months. She plays the recording on the dog tags over and over again wishing Nic was there so she could tell him how much she missed him and how much she loves him and needs him. She was alone for months. She was so miserable. She started letting Steve and other people she knew inside the house. She wasn't getting any better though. She couldn't live without Nic and she knew it. They were soul mates. But little did she know the pain Nic was going through emotionally, physically, and internally. He was fighting the effects of an enemy he had already defeated. He was fighting a battle he couldn't fight by himself. He was going through so much pain but he knew he had to win this battle so he could see her again. He would do anything to see her and he would risk anything to see her again. And he would have to be willing to put his life on the line again and again.