subjects and objects

korean grammar has many differences compared to english.

first, i'm going to start with objects and subjects.

the subject is the main idea of the sentence. for example, the subjects of the following sentences will be in bold.

I am happy.

the dog had a bone.

my mom made pasta.

each korean subject has a particle added to it, and the particles don't really translate to english, they're just added parts.

this is how a particle would act in english;
word: run
particles that could be added to 'run': ing, s
running, runs.

now, 'ing' and 's' don't have specific meanings, they're just added to the root word. and that's how korean particles work.

there are two different particles that can be added to subjects: 는 (neun) and 은 (eun)

는 is added if the last letter in the word is a vowel.

은 is added if the last letter of the word is a consonant.

EXAMPLE:

I am happy.

'I' is the subject.

I only has one letter in it, and that letter is a vowel. 는 would be added to I.

I는 am happy.

there are also objects in a sentence. objects are usually nouns. the objects of the following sentences will be in bold.

she has a guitar.

i speak korean.

my mom loves me.

there are two different particles that can be added to objects: 를 (reul) and 을 (eul)

를 is added to vowels.

을 is added to consonants.

EXAMPLE:

she has a guitar.

guitar is the object. the last letter of guitar is a constant, so 을 is added.

she has a guitar을.

now, let's try adding both particles to a sentence.

i speak korean.

"i" is the subject. "korean" is the object.

i는 speak korean을.

in the next chapter, you'll learn more about korean sentence structures.