Chapter 9

Kylie

I tell Daniel to run inside while I practice alone for a while. I'm so sick and tired of Caleb thinking he's so great at everything. So, I decided to show him a bit that I could do with my sword. I smirk to myself, I bet he didn't see that coming. I turn my head to face Caleb, his black hair is hanging low over his blue eyes as he picks at his fingers. He looks up and catches me staring. Flushing, I stand up and walk over to him. "So, how does it feel to be taught by a girl?" He stands up and positions himself so he's standing beside me. I feel the blade hot on my skin as he smirks, "Not as good as it'll feel killing an obnoxious being."

I smile slowly, knowing he won't do anything. "You can't do anything to me, you need me." He drops his sword and smiles at me. I've grown very fond of his smile, even though I know it's not directed at me. Caleb smacks my hand, "Listen, do you hear that?" I listen carefully, not knowing what he could be hearing. "Oh my God," It was a whole herd of Grome heading toward us. I grab my sword, that was sheathed over my back, and fling it out in front of me. "What are those things," Caleb looks sturdy but frightened? "I named them Grome, they were invented by the government to screw with us," I look at him and he laughs. "Then we might as well get to killing," we jump into the herd.

Daniel

Rummaging around in the house, I hear multiple sounds coming from outside. Kylie and Caleb are fighting the hideous monsters that killed my mom. I feel as if I should do something, but I have something else to do right now. I open cabinets, throwing everything out of it. Where is it? I need it or I'm in serious trouble.

Caleb

There's silence around me. Like everything is moving in slow motion. Kylie slings out with the blade and amputates an arm. Her black hair flows behind her like a wave of darkness. Her eyes are shining with adrenaline. I feel a sharp pain in my left arm, a Grome attacked me. I was too busy getting caught up with Kylie that I payed no attention to the war I'm currently in. How so, out of line. I swing out with the sword I have held in hand, the oil spills around my feet. Kylie runs over, covered in oil, to congratulate me. The smiles I give now aren't like the ones I used to have. These smiles... are real.

Kylie

I wipe my face with the back of my hands and bend over trying to catch my breath I lost. Caleb stands over me, watching intently. "Why are you staring at me?" He snaps back into reality, "What? Oh, I'm sorry. I just, wanted to make sure you were okay. He straightens himself, and walks away as nothing ever happened. Caleb walked inside, and I think to myself. 'What will happen a few months from now?' 'Will I still be alive?' 'Will I be in love with Caleb?' 'Will he be in love with me?'

Caleb

"What happened in here," I stared at Daniel furiously. He doesn't even answer me. He just keeps throwing things on the floor. I grab his arm and jerk him backwards. "Stop." Daniel looks at me and narrows his eyes, "Tell me where it is." Squeezing my eyes shut I answer, "I have no idea what you're talking about." I know what he's talking about. I can't give it back to him, not after what he did. Not after what his family did. "Give it to me," He takes his hand back and stares at me. "No, you can't have it." I set my hand on the top of my blade sheathed at my waist. "It belonged to me, my family, not yours you took it from us. We need it back." "No, the key belongs to me now." I sling out with my blade and it's all over.

I drag the boy's body out the back door, so Kylie wouldn't call me a murderer. What she doesn't know won't hurt her. Wiping my hands on my jeans, I walk inside to see Kylie staring at me with her arms crossed, "Hey, have you seen Daniel I need him back to 'class.' I fumble with my fingers and answer, "He left, he said he wanted to be on his own since he'll never make it here." She looks at me in disbelief, "And you let him? How could you let him go on his own?" Guilt fills my head, but I can't let her know why. "Just leave it." I walk silently past her.

Kylie

I can't believe he would let the little boy leave. He can't fend for himself. I walk after Caleb, and wave my arms around in front of him. "Why? Why would you do such a thing. That little boy can't fe-" Caleb lent in and kissed me. His hands travel up my spine, and I shiver. He pushes me away and looks at me in disgust. "Why'd you do that," I ask. "It was nothing, I just wanted to see if it would mean something. But unfortunately it didn't. You mean nothing to me, and that's how it always will be. You'll just be a tool I'm using for my plan. Don't get your hopes up." He walks away and I feel the tears roll down my cheeks.

Caleb

I told her the kiss meant nothing, but really it did. I push everyone that could possibly care for me away. I don't deserve to be loved, I don't deserve anything.

I wake up the next morning lying on the floor of the house. Her house. She walks through the doorway of the kitchen and only takes a few seconds to glance at me and turn around. "Wait, uh... today is the day I was thinking we could maybe think about-," I stutter when she cuts me off. "Just go ahead and say it already! Stop stuttering! It's getting annoying," She walks away quickly and sheathes her sword into her waist belt. "I'm going out, feel free to stay here and do whatever." I watch her walk out of the door. I walk down the steps and silently follow her watching as she stomps down the street in anger.

Kylie

I close my eyes and kick rocks with my foot, I didn't throw on any shoes this morning before I left. I had to leave. The way he stuttered, acting like he cared for me when really he was faking. The way his smile lights up the whole world, well what's left of it. How his eyes move around when he's nervous. What am I thinking? He'll never care for me. A scraping sound comes from behind me and I throw myself behind a dumpster. The world around is so quiet, I can hear myself breathing slowly. I hear footsteps as I hold my blade close to my face. I dart out from behind and push the figure down onto the ground. Holding my dagger to it's neck I groan, "Caleb! What are you doing here?" He doesn't answer but he only watches as I remove the blade.