Chapter 10

Caleb

She jumps out from behind a dumpster at me, it's not my fault I tripped and made a noise. She sits on top of me panting for air. The cold iron was pressed against my neck and was removed. I hear her ask what I'm doing but I block out sound. "You have to let her know how you feel," my conscience speaks to me. "Caleb! Answer me! You nearly gave me a heart attack!" She climbs off of me and I stand up. "Kylie," I whisper, "Please don't be mad." I put my hands up to her face and pull her into a kiss. It's a kiss of passion, not hunger. She stands there not moving as if she's a statue of heaven.

Kylie

He's only messing. I push him away and stomp off. He starts to follow me desperately calling my name, "Kylie, wait." Tears stream down my face as I turn around, "It's not the best to mess with someone's feelings like this! You think this is funny? It's not! After I've lost everything! I have nothing left! We shouldn't even be able to control our emotions! Get this through your head! We don't have feelings for each other, it's just the government messing around!" I put my head in my hands and sigh. Caleb walks over to me and crouches down beside me, "Kylie, soon we're going to have to take these emotional sensors out. Then, you're going to see that my feelings aren't contained by a sensor."

Caleb

The aroma fills my senses, I don't remember coming home. I stand up and look around. My vision corrects and I spot Kylie standing over by the stove. Her long ashy hair cascades down her back and ends a few inches under her shoulder blades. There's a bit of flour marked on her face from the dish she's preparing. I walk up behind her and touch her shoulder lightly, "Hey," I mumble. She totally ignores me. "Are you okay?" Is she really? "Yes, I'm just peachy." She walks over to the sink and dumps the dirty dishes in. "You never showed me your library," I saw it the other day, it's huge.

Kylie

"I didn't think you liked books, you only seem like one to hurt." I walk around him and wash my hands. "I absolutely love books! They drag me into the world they put off." He seems way to excited, that's my cue to ruin it for him. "One must always be careful of books, and what is inside of them for words have the power to change us." I smile. "I know that quote! That's from the Infernal Devices," He smiles and picks at his fingers. "Yes it is. I'm surprised you've read it. It's kind of a girly book, but then it's not." Caleb smiles and continues to talk about the books while I tune him out. "Are you listening? I said we're going to leave soon, we're getting ready to take the trackers out remember?"

Caleb guides me out of the house and down an alley. There was moss growing up the walls that scaped on forever. He turns the corner, still having a grip on my arm, and opens a hatch. Looking down, I peer into the hatch. It's dark and there's something menacing about it that I can't put my finger on. "Are you coming? Oh, come on don't give me that look. We're going here to keep from being found, but don't worry there are tunnels that lead out. Now come on." He jumps into the abyss.

Caleb grabs my hand and squeezes it to give me comfort. To be honest I am far from being comfortable. It's like i'm being caved it, the walls are getting closer. Before I know it we're having to squeeze through, pushing ourselves further. The walls open up to a room that had 3 passages, one to the left, right, and straight. But we don't move on, no. We stay right where we our, to exact Caleb sits down laying a sheet of knives in front of him. He nods over to me using his head that it was time.

I sit down in front of him, sure that fear shows in my eyes because he acknowledges it by saying, "Don't worry." "Do you want to go first, or me?"

I already know my answer, "You."

"Okay then I'll go first." He picks up the longest blade. While he's doing that flashing images of the future flash through my mind. He rolls up his pants leg and looks back up at me, giving me a reassuring smile. Oh that smile, it's the smile that i've fallen in love with. Caleb presses the blade to the part of the skin that keeps the tracker and sensor safe. He screams in pain, the blade going deeper until it hits metal.

Huffing to keep from screaming again he wraps his fingers around the metal sphere. His hands are shaking and so are mine. It's like I can feel his pain coursing through me. He throws both the sensor and tracker onto the ground. I rush over to him and wrap my jacket around his leg. "Caleb, bab- are you okay?" I hold his face in my hands.

"What was that?" He smirks. "What did you almost say?"

"Nothing. I asked if you were okay. This is not the time for jokes Caleb." I keep a straight face.

"No you almost called me baby," He pokes my cheek, "Don't worry I'm fine. Your turn."

Caleb

"I don't think I can go through with this, Caleb." Kylie looks like she's going to throw up.

"Yes you can, I got through it. You can do anything I can do Kylie."

"I don't know about this."

"Do you want me to do it, or you?" I hold up the blade I had just used on myself.

"You."

I pull her close to me, "Don't be scared." She flinches as I locate the tracker and press the blade against her left leg. I shush her quietly, then drive the blade into her leg.

She screams in pain, "Ow!" I whisper my apologies as she pats the floor. I find the metal and pull both the sensor and tracker out of her leg. I lay her back while propping her leg onto my lap. Using my extra shirt I apply pressure to stop the bleeding. "Thanks," she scoots away to a corner, "What now?" That's the thing I didn't know. What now? What do we do now that we've gone against the law? I don't know, but I can't let her know that.

I guess I'll just have to make up as I go. "We're going to sit here and rest until our legs don't hurt as bad. Then, we're going to emerge on top from the third passageway." I point to the one behind me. "After that we're going to sneak into the government facility. Any questions? No. Okay."

"You didn't know I didn't have questions."

"Well you weren't answering." I say.

"Because you gave me like two seconds!"

"Oh well! Do you have any questions then?"

"No." She smirks and lays her head back on the wall.

"Kylie, I want you to know that I lo- I hope you know what we're going to do because I'm not going back over it." I almost slipped, things are just coming out of my mouth at this point in time. Why?

"Oh. Yeah. I know what to do." Did I hurt her feelings? Was she expecting something else? I drift into sleep listening to Kylie tapping her fingers to my heartbeat.