Chapter 1

Maria's afternoon lessons with Miss Heliotrope were anything but interesting. Despite the passion her governess held for French essays written by authors who were long since deceased, Maria would rather have been out in the forest, exploring the clearings and, most importantly, enjoying the company of Robin de Noir.

She gazed out of the wide windows and closed her eyes, feeling the sun blossom across her face and warm her cheeks.

"Since you seem somewhat preoccupied today, Maria, perhaps it would be better to end our lessons a little earlier," Miss Heliotrope sighed upon catching her snoozing student.

Maria's eyes flew open, her cheeks flushed from the sun and the blood now rushing to her face.

"Oh! Thank you, Miss Heliotrope," she cried as she leapt to her feet. "It is such a beautiful day, after all. Maybe we could have a picnic later? I can ask Marmaduke to put together some sandwiches and we can take Wrolf out into the meadows!"

Miss Heliotrope shuddered inwardly at the thought of the pitch black beast, thinking the creature would appear quite out of place in the tranquil meadows beside Moonacre Manor.

"No thank you, my dear. Besides, my afternoon is rather full, what with planning your birthday event for tomorrow. There is so much to do and so little time."

"Nothing too grand, Miss Heliotrope? I am content simply celebrating with yourself, Uncle, and Loveday" Maria replied, and felt colour rise into her cheeks once again as she added, "and the de Noir's, of course"

"Of course, of course," replied Miss Heliotrope in a flurry as she bustled about the room. "Now go on and enjoy the sunshine, Maria. I am sure I can hear that frightful beast lurking somewhere outside of this room for you."

Maria practically flew from the room, finding Wrolf waiting contentedly for her at the foot of the stairs.

"Wrolf," she called, throwing her arms around his shaggy mane, "shall we take a walk outside? Perhaps we may find Robin in the forest."

In fact, Maria knew she would find Robin in the woods beside her gardens. It was as if they had come to an agreement without ever discussing it. He always waited there for her after Maria's lessons, often within the branches, hoping to jump down and scare her. Or at times by the stream, picking flowers he would later weave absent-mindedly into her hair.

Yet as Maria picked her way through the bushes and undergrowth, Robin was nowhere to be seen. It was true that she had been let out of her lessons earlier than usual, but Robin always seemed to be around, waiting between the trees. Maria sat down upon a mossy rock, spreading her skirts and ribbons about her, and resolved to pet Wrolf until Robin turned up. Except he didn't.

She got to her feet and walked through the thicket with Wrolf padding after her, sticking his nose down rabbit holes and barging through bushes. Branches pulled at the hair in her braid, causing tendrils to fall around her face as she looked up through the trees. Despite the cacophony of sound Wrolf was producing, she was sure that there was nobody else around.

Sunlight speckled through the leaves as Maria made her way out of the forest and up the grassy bank toward the manor. Wrolf nuzzled her hand, sensing the melancholy mood, but Maria did not respond. What could have kept Robin from meeting her? Especially now, the day before her birthday? She had been looking forward to inviting him personally to her small party, to tell him about the cake Marmaduke was making for her and how it was both of their favourite flavours.

She heaved open the heavy wooden door, the stone floor seeming to radiate a chill despite the afternoon sun shining brightly. Wrolf gave her another nudge, before trotting off and up the stairs, undoubtedly to find and torment an unsuspecting Miss Heliotrope. The thump of heavy boots from down the corridor brought Maria back to reality, and her eyes widened as a familiar leather jacket and bowler hat rounded the corner.