The Bassment

John and his wife always left notes for each other( book club tonight, back at 7.00) ( your mother called) (need milk) on the door of the garage . It was covered in sticky notes because nobody ever threw the old ones away until it fell on the floor. One day , John found a new note from his wife.

-Honey, that stray cat I heard meowing last night is now in the basement . Can you get him for me?<3

John signed. When did trespassing wildlife become apart of his job. Glancing at the basement, he signed again. His wife left a small cracked open, with the light on. the cat probable escaped. He went down stairs anyway.

It was creepy down there. Dark, dusty, and....what was that sound? A scraping noise, whenever he took a step, like something was moving in sync with him in disguise its movement. Cats did that...right? He took another step. Scrape.

Step.

Scrape.

he stopped almost panicking, before thinking to check his shoe. A sticky note clung to his sole, dragging when he walked. He must have stepped on it upstairs.

- honey, i have called the exterminator( tomorrow at 3:00) and locked the basement door.Don't go down there . I don't think it is a cat.

John looked up at the basement door, the door has been unquestionably open when he got home,  the door that, before going down the stairs  he shut  and presumably, inadvertently locked behind him. From behind the furnace , he heard a meow, but not like a cat he has ever heard before.it was followed by a low chuckle.

Suddenly, John didn't think it was a cat either.