Chapter Five

He exhaled, blowing smoke from his lips. Leaning back against the building of the nightclub, just next to the back door, he was patient to wait for her. He ran a hand through his hair tiredly. The moon was lit high but it was the fidgeting light above the door that caused him to see. In the club, he could hear woven chatters and loud music. It was a usual Friday night. The night that hundreds of people would gather just to see the club singer bless them with her sweet voice. And he was lucky to have loved that club singer. She was only famously known by the people in the club but he knew she'd be a star someday.

A car pulled up against the curb, catching his attention. The back door opened and she sweetly stepped out. It was odd seeing her come from the back of the car when her mother usually drove her to her gigs and she sat in the passenger seat, but he ignored that now. Her presence was overwhelming. "Mar." he smiled as she slowly approached him. "Hello, James." a weak grin was forced upon her face. He pulled her in for a hug and held her close. It only made her feel more guilty. She slowly pulled away from him with a sadness in her eyes. He placed his hand softly on her cheek. "What's the matter?" he asked softly, "You don't have stage fright again, do you?" She shook her head. Just then, a man stepped out from the back of the car. He was tall with slick brown hair and glasses to help him see. He was obviously older than they were and he looked very professional in his dark blue suit. The man - leaning against the car skeptically - had taken off his glasses, unable to clearly see Jimmy's face as he cleaned them off on a cloth that sat in his chest pocket. "Who's that?" Jimmy asked. Marilyn pulled Jimmy's hand from her cheek. "That's Arthur Miller," Marilyn explained, "I've been seeing him for a few days now. He says he can make me a star." Jimmy's eyes lit up in disbelief. "A star?! That's amazing!" Jimmy laughed in awe. Marilyn nodded, barely smiling. "He offered me a movie role and I'm going to take it." she continued on. Jimmy pulled her in for another tight hug. "I knew you'd be a star!" he exclaimed. But as he pulled out of the hug to kiss her, she turned away. Confusion hit him and he furrowed his brows together. "What's the matter?" he inquired. Marilyn looked down at her white shoes. "Jimmy, I -" She looked back up into his eyes, now truly seeing his confusion. "I'll be leaving with Mr. Miller tonight to film the movie and when I come back... I'll be continuing to stay with Mr. Miller." Jimmy felt even more confused. He shook his head unable to comprehend what this meant. Yet, anger and hurt ran through him so swiftly. "What do you mean?" he asked with hopes that what he felt wasn't as it were to be. Marilyn shrugged and then spoke, "Mr. Miller can give me a life of everything I'd ever dreamed of Jimmy... I can't risk losing that..." Jimmy felt a hit in his heart and Marilyn, unsurprisingly, felt one in hers. She didn't want to leave James Dean this way, nor did she want to leave him at all. But she was hungry for stardom. It was all she'd ever want.

"This is a joke." Jimmy stated, shaking his head. "It's over, Jimmy." was all Marilyn replied with. "Marilyn," Arthur called from the car, he'd just then shoved his glasses back onto his face, "I think it's time to get going. We've got a flight in the morning." Arthur got back into the car, again, not paying much attention to Jimmy. Marilyn turned to the man who would later on be her husband and nodded. Turning back to Jimmy, Marilyn couldn't help the tears that formed in her eyes. "You can't do this," Jimmy pleaded, "This has got to be some kind of joke. Mar... Don't." Marilyn held her head up and her tears in. "I've got to go," she told him, "I wish you all the best, James Dean." Jimmy's eyes begged her not to go. Pain settled in his face that she could no longer bare to look at. Marilyn turned from him, and just in that moment - from both of their eyes - tears fell silently at the same time. Though Marilyn was the one walking away, they both held the same heartache. And just like that, Marilyn was gone .....

Marilyn blinked out of the memory that she'd tried to forget so long ago. It had seemed that that was all she could think about all moment. The moment she had walked away from everything simple and sweet in her life. She was no longer deep in thought and could now hear the banging her door that stood behind her. She curled up into a ball on her bed and continued to stare at the white curtains covering her window that darkened the room. "Marilyn," Arthur's voice forced from behind the door, "Marilyn! Open this door!"