Chapter 18 - A Miracle

"I'll wait outside for you." Dad said, patting my back as we stood outside Caleb's room. I clutched the paper crane in my hand and nodded.

"Same. Take all the time you need." Luke added, smiling. I returned it and took a deep breath, before walking into the room. Caleb lay just the same as always, although the scabs covering his face had all healed. I tip-toed over to his bedside and perched on the chair next to it. Placing the crane on the bedside table, I took his hands in mine.

"Guess what? Alexia had the baby!" I whispered. "It's a little girl, and they've decided to call her Raine, quiet appropriate don't you think? With the thunderstorm and all that." I sighed and hung my head. "I wish you could see her! She has the most beautiful eyes, and she looks so delicate!"

Tears started to roll down my cheeks, and I sobbed freely. "Please wake up! There's so much you've missed! And I want to share it with you! Please, just open your eyes! I need you!"

Bleep.

"Huh?" I wiped my eyes and stared at the vitals monitor.

Bleep.

"Caleb?" I whispered, squeezing his hand. "You there?"

Bleep, bleep.

"Oh my God!" I squealed, covering my mouth with my free hand.

Bleep, bleep, bleep...

"Ugh..." Caleb moaned. I gasped and jumped up, leaning over him.

"Caleb? Caleb!"

"Charlie? What's going on?" Luke burst into the room, quickly followed by Dad.

"He's waking up!" I said, tears streaming down my face. "He's waking up!"

"Char... ch..." Caleb mumbled, squinting his eyes.

"It's okay baby, I'm here." I cooed, wiping his hair from his forehead. "I'm here."

"Char...lie... Charlie..."

The he opened his eyes.

It was like Raine all over again. His gorgeous green ones stared into my hazel ones, and I let out a soft giggle.

"Hey." I whispered, stroking his cheek. "Long time, no see."

"Charlie?" He muttered, raising a hand and pushing my hair back from my face. "Is it really you?"

"Yeah, it's me." I said, sniffing. "Welcome back."

"Where am I?"

"You're in hospital, mate." Luke cut in, leaning against the door frame, grinning. "Nice to see you awake."

"Luke?" Caleb said. His gaze moved to Dad. "Who are you?"

"Luke and Charlie's dad, and it's a pleasure to finally meet you Caleb." Dad introduced, walking over.

"Luke and Charlie's... dad?"

"Yeah, that's one thing you've missed." I said, smiling. "Turns out Luke and I are long lost siblings. Strange world, huh?"

"You're telling me." Caleb chuckled, before coughing and gasping. "Water... please."

I filled up a glass with water from the water jug and helped him sit up. He gulped it down eagerly and I took it from him, placing it back on the table.

"I had the weirdest dream that you were telling me that Alexia had had her baby---Raine I think it was called." Caleb pondered, his eyes staring into the distance.

"That was no dream. It's true." I said, His gaze snapped to me and his eyes widened.

"W-what? Really?!"