Chapter 5

Infection made a pouty face. Living just maintained her same cool expression.

“What?” I asked Infection. She ignored me.

Living waved, and I was sucked up into oblivion.

~*~

Oblivion was apparently the world between Mythos, the Abyss, the Above, and Earth. I was free in Oblivion. It was dark. I was everything.

I loved Oblivion, despite the name.

I staggered as I landed on a driveway. It was dark, and chilly. I looked down at myself. Translucent. This was so cool. I was a ghost, or a soul, as Living would later say.

I walked through the door of the house I was on the driveway of. It was brick and quaint, but with a cozy feel. The house was at the end of the street Lishman Drive, probably named after somebody dead.

Inside, there was a golden glow coming off of a huge chandelier that hung high above me. A rounded staircase curled out on the right side. I took the left, walking through the door.

Whenever I walked through the door, I got the chills. It actually felt pretty good.

There, in a living room, on a sofa, was an attractive-looking girl with long, dark hair, and who knows what eyes. She looked like a teenager, around my age, and was curled up with a book in her hands. I peered down to read the title. The City of Ashes. By Cassandra Clare.

“Hello,” I said.

The girl looked up startled. She had the weirdest hazel eyes, that had just gone a brilliant hue of cobalt. “Who are you? Why can I see through you?”

“I am ghost. I don’t exactly live. I won’t tell you my name, though. Sorry,”

She gaped at me.

“What’s your name?” I added tentatively.

“Chaos. Chaos McKinley.”

“Good. Are you bullied?”

“Yes,” The words barely made it out of her mouth. She was on her knees in front of a stone fireplace in a flash, making me do a double take. Her hands were clapped together like she was praying.

And Chaos was. Her lips moved without sound, and she closed her eyes. “Amen,” She said after an awkward span of silence.

“I thanked Jesus.” Chaos answered the unasked question swirling around my head.

“Okay. So you’re Christian.”

“Duh,”

“What grade? What state am I in?”

“10th. Sioux Falls, South Dakota.”

“Okay. And by the way, I’m not some guardian angel. I was sent here by Angel Living, to counter Reaper Death. So basically, if you die, Reaper Death will have another reaper, the second worst kind. Reaper Chaos. And you wouldn’t be able to do anything about it.”

Chaos took a moment to suck that information in. The City of Ashes was lying open, its pages flipping until it reached one page and stopped.

It’s creepier when you see it for yourself.

Chaos grabbed the book, and muttered,

“Only the Living can stop the Death.

“Thou Reapers unite and power unleashed

“The Angels fight back with utmost ease

“When Death comes to you to fetch your soul

“Be sure to hold back, on Living’s toll