Chapter 3

1 week later…

“Their coming! Eek!” Haley screamed running back up the stairs.

She hadn’t finished her make-up, so she was trying to do it on her own since she didn’t trust my clumsy fingers. Too bad for her. I looked like a model.

I was wearing the sleek black dress I had bought a week ago, the new earrings, my old locket, and the bracelet. My eye shadow was dark brown, and I had sun kissed skin with light blush over it.

Why do they call tan skin sun kissed? It’s not like the sun kisses you while you’re on the beach.

Or does it?

I know. I think weird thoughts.

Haley came down the steps, waving, and posing at random. I laughed. She was dragging Garret, who was wearing dress shoes, a polo shirt, and slacks. Haley stopped at the end of the staircase. “I want to say, “HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LEXI YOUNG!” She waved her arms in the air.Garret took off from under Haley’s arms and began clapping and pretending to take photos of us.

Typical Haley Richardson.

She wanted to be Miss Pennsylvania. She was pretty enough, too.

Ding dong! The door bell snapped me out of my thoughts. I went to the door, and Wanda, a really annoying girl from my science class, appeared.

“Hey, Wanda!” I tried my best to look happy that she had come.

“Happy b-day, Lexi. You look awesome.” She said with equal (not fake) enthusiasm. Wanda was wearing a pink cocktail dress, and her red hair was in soft curls. She didn’t have her glasses on like usual, and she looked pretty.

“So do you.” I smiled, a real one. “Come on in. You can help us with the punch and music, since you’re so early.

“Okay,” She said happily. I was pretty sure that this was the first time in her whole high school history that she was invited to help a popular person like me.

I hope I don’t sound too full of myself.

As Wanda and Haley did the drinks, I helped Garret set up the DJ’s area. Garret was the DJ, because he was good-looking enough, and he had good taste in music. And fashion.

The door bell rang again. Kyle stood there, without Erica.

“Hello, Kyle.”

“Hey. Happy birthday. You look amazing.”

Maybe he was getting the wrong impression. As much as I pitied him for having to date Erica, I wasn’t about to break them up. I’m not that mean.

“Hi.  You look…good. Where’s Erica?”

“She didn’t want to come. She looked sick, so I came alone."

“Oh. Poor Erica. Tell her to get better, okay?” I didn’t mean a word of what I said.

“Sure.”

Kyle walked off, looking disappointed that I had asked about Erica and had not continued to flirt with him. He was gross and naive to think I liked him.

Not that I could blame him. Every other single girl liked him.

Hmm...

“Haley!” I yelled. “Come over here.”

I found Kyle talking to Garret about sports. “Can you help Wanda with the punch?”

“Wanda?”

“Yeah. Please?”

“Fine.”

I led Kyle over to where Wanda was. I honestly hated set ups, but I hated Erica, so it would have to do.