Some People Fall Into Love But It Fell Onto Me. Literally: Part 2

6/27/11

The walk took about 30 minutes. Aiden had a small house in between some business buildings. A street light was right in front of it showing off the neatness of the miniature lawn and the whiteness of the picket fence around the front of his house. Roger stopped at the front gate once his nose touched the painted wood. Aiden unhooked his arm from mine, leaving an imprint of fading warmth, and let go of his seeing eye dog. I was a little disappointed but quickly sobered up. I didn’t know this man. I am at his house. For all I knew, he could be faking being blind, like he said, and he just wants to rape me. I shuddered at the thought. I wanted my first time to be memorable, but in a positive way.

Aiden had opened the gate and walked down the short pathway to the stairs that led to his front door. The bag of dog food was no longer in his left hand, but on the ground next to him. Roger was no where to be seen but you could hear him whizzing somewhere on the side of the house.

“Gretch, there is no need for you to stand out in the cold. Come, inside, where it’s much warmer.” the door to his house was open and inviting, but dark. I closed the gate behind me and started towards his open door.

I was welcomed by toasty warm air as soon as I entered. There were no lights on, it was completely dark, except for some of the lamp light from outside seeping in through the shades. I could make out a little TV in the corner in front of a mix matched love seat and couch. There was a wood staircase and to the right of it, a door. To the left was what looked like a circular dining table. I couldn’t make out much more.

“Nice place you have here” I said casually.

“Really? I wouldn’t know.” He chuckled from somewhere in the dining room.

“Oh, well uh. Sorry.” I replied idiotically. It was hard to remember that he was blind because he acted so…normal. I felt around the wall for a light switch. I flipped it up; nothing. “Aiden? Do all of your lights…” I trailed off, realizing, once again, the stupidity of my questions.

“Do you not like the dark?” I jumped up when I realized that Aiden was so close.

“No it’s just that..”

“Just what? You can tell me. I won’t be offended. I have never know any different than pitch blackness.” A sad half smile appeared on his face. I wanted to hug him right then and there. He looked so longing, he reminded me of a saved animal in the zoo that knew it was never going to leave.

“No, it’s because I don’t know your house as well as you do. I don’t want to break anything.” I didn’t have the heart to tell him the real reason was because of my fear of the dark. The half smile on his face became whole.

“Well then, I think there’s some candles in one of the drawers in the kitchen.”

“Candles?” I inquired.

“What? I like the smell of them, especially after Roger comes inside after being in the rain.” We giggled together and I slowly walked towards the kitchen.

Once I got to the doorway I felt on each side of the wall for a light switch, I flipped it on when I found it. The fluorescent light took me aback for a moment because I wasn’t expecting it to actually worked. When all the spots from my vision cleared, I started looking in all the drawers. He was very organized with drawers for specific things: silverware, cooking utensils, measuring cups, and lastly, one for candles. I grabbed three that were all scented like cupcakes. That’s right, cupcakes. I searched through the drawer a little more and found some matches. I turned the kitchen light off.