Chapter Two

Living A Lie

With her heart fluttering like a dying moth, Molly pushed open the study door, holding the umbrella like a deadly weapon. There was Suzy, James' young secretary, standing by his mahogany desk looking at a file. She screamed and dropped some loose papers as Molly shouted.

"What are you doing? You scared me to death!"  As Molly collapsed into a nearby chair, Suzy came and stood by her.  "I'm so sorry, Molly, I do apologise. Jim told me to ring your mobile, but I couldn't get hold of you."  Suzy touched Molly's arm apologetically and Molly looked up at her.  "I didn't have it with me."   Suzy frowned.  "Jim gave me the front door keys and he did say I should pin a note to the door to warn you, if you weren't in. He said you liked notes and he laughed about it." Suzy pulled a face "But I don't know what he meant. He's left some papers behind, which he needs for this evening's meeting. He told me to tell you he won't be home until 10.o.clock, or even later. I hate late meetings, they do go on."

She moved back to the desk and continued her search.  Molly rose from the chair, Suzy's mention of the note having made her feel uncomfortable.  "Would you like a coffee, I'm putting the kettle on?" "No thanks, I've found what I want, I'd better get back."  Suzy shuffled some papers, placed them into a large black holdall and walked to the study door.  "I'm sorry I scared you, it was wrong of me. I'll leave a note if it happens again, although I doubt that, Jim is usually so organised. He never forgets a thing."

When Suzy had gone, Molly sat in the lounge with her coffee thinking about James, desperately wishing she had something other than James to think about. He had obviously been affected by last night as he had forgotten his papers, but how dare he laugh about the note on the door and, what's more, (even if she didn't know what he meant) laugh about it in front of Suzy! He had some nerve! Molly was relieved that she wouldn't have to see him this evening, he'd made her very angry and she was afraid of what she might say. She was also pleased that she wouldn't have to cook. The afternoon was spent washing and ironing and she went to bed early and watched television in her room. James eventually arrived home at 10.45 pm.

The days passed quickly. Sunday the 3rd December was the first anniversary of Paul's death. James, as always, took Molly to the cemetery. Without fail, she visited the grave every Sunday with fresh flowers and this time they were accompanied by Molly's daughter, Gemma.

Molly stood quietly weeping, looking down as Gemma knelt by the headstone, neatly arranging red roses and gypsophelia. Gemma stood up, tears welling in her eyes.

"Oh, mum, I'm glad this first year is over. I miss dad so much, but now I want to move on and be happy."

Molly doubted she would ever be happy again, but for Gemma's sake gave a positive reply.

"You will, given time. Time is a great healer, so they say."

Linking arms they walked back to James, waiting in the car.

They were back at the house now, sitting side by side on the garden bench wearing their coats. The air was chill, but a weak winter sun hung low in the sky, bathing them in a warm, golden glow. Gemma placed her arm through her mother's and her head on her shoulder.

"I love you, mum, you do know that, don't you?" she said.

"Oh, sweetheart, of course I do. I love you too, very much."

Molly kissed Gemma's cheek and they sat nestled, quietly for several seconds.

Suddenly, Gemma unlinked her arm from her mother and sat forward, looking down at the grass.

"Mum, I've got something to tell you. I've tried to tell you before, but it didn't feel right." She turned to face her mother.

"James has been good hasn't he? Everyone loves him."