Chapter Four

Living A Lie

Molly was standing motionless by the kitchen table, newspaper in hand, when James walked in. "What's up?" he asked.  She handed over the newspaper. He sat down at the table and spread it out in front of him.  Feeling numb, Molly went to the sink and filled the kettle. 

The past came floating back; the police informing her Paul had died, killed in a road accident; Gemma's tears and her own hysteria; the emotional visit to the funeral parlour to see Paul laid out in his coffin; and finally, his coffin being swallowed up by the cold earth, on that most awful day. She remembered the surreal reality of life without him, which carried on day after dreary day, although in actual fact it was no life at all. Sean Williams? She hated him!

James read out loud, his eyes following the words on the page.

"Local biker, Sean Williams, whose case of causing death by dangerous driving goes to Court on the 16th January, broke his bail conditions by causing an affray in the car park of the 'Red Dragon' pub on Friday night. He fought with two men, causing actual bodily harm to one and grievous bodily harm to the other. He is now in custody, awaiting trial."

"The very thought of him turns my stomach" said Molly as she took the mugs from the cupboard and reached for the teapot.  "He's a nasty piece of work" said James as he closed the paper. "The sooner he's behind bars the better."

Molly poured the tea and sat down opposite him.

"You are going to Court aren't you? I couldn't face it myself."

"Yes, of course. Perhaps Gemma will come with me" James replied.

He looked seriously at Molly.

"This will come to an end eventually and then we can put it behind us. Don't let this spoil Christmas, Molly, although I know it won't be easy."

She closed her eyes and said on a sigh, "I'll try."

For two whole weeks she had forgotten about Sean Williams and even thoughts of Paul on the odd day or two, but now the anguish would begin all over again.

                                                                                    *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

By mid December, Molly's Christmas preparations were well underway. After much thought, she'd bought a pair of gold cuff links for James, engraved with his initials and a very smart white shirt. His favourite writer was Andy McNabb, so she'd also bought several of his books and a lovely soft navy blue sweater she'd found in Harrods.

Together they decorated the house for Christmas. James brought his collection of Christmas ornaments down from the loft. This included several sets of battery operated candles, which were placed in strategic places around the house. Two sets going on the dining room table, where they planned to eat their meals during the Christmas holiday.

Molly bought an exquisite red table-cloth, embroidered with gold thread. The colour being a near match to the red velvet curtains hanging at the windows. A pretty wreath of holly, decorated with red and tartan ribbons, adorned the front door to welcome any visitors and a real fir tree was delivered and set up in the lounge in the large bay window.

Decorating the tree was difficult, as it almost brushed the high ceiling. James had to bring a ladder in from the garage to reach the top, where Molly's own Christmas fairy was placed at James's suggestion, although 'she' had seen better days. Silver tinsel sparkled amongst the branches and four sets of lights, of plain white, winked on and off at intervals. Coloured baubles of purple and gold were hung on the branches along with miniature wooden figures, drums and rocking horses.