Isaac Martin

Isaac's POV

Our baby is so beautiful or handsome, we don't know the gender yet but Melly and I went to the hospital for us to have a peek on our baby.

I can't wait for Iris to see our baby.

"What name would you want to name our baby, Isaac?" Melly asked me, holding her baby bump and I just smiled and answer.

"Barney if it's a boy and Robin if it's a girl" I laughed, remembering this talk Iris and I shared.

"Don't fanboy over our baby" Melly joked and I excused myself when I suddenly had this urge to check my phone. There was a missed call from Iris. My heart suddenly felt squishy and ached a little. Then, I saw a text from the father of Iris and I quickly threw my phone and ran my way to the emergency room and there she was, my best friend.

Next thing I knew is I was crying next to his dad.

The doctor came out and told us that Iris is in a coma. It was the news my mind screamed over and over again but I stayed silent over the news.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day One.

"I told you, Iris, you should grow taller so that you can have the time to grab your inhaler. Do you love your height like that?"

Day Two.

"Our friends asked me why I am still playing tonight for lacrosse when you are not there to witness it. You will still be there, right?"

Day Three.

"We won in lacrosse. Well, I played great. Why don't you like sports and always try to dodge the ball towards you? I say you sign up for dodge ball"

Day Four.

"I'm late, aren't I? I have to drive Melly since her baby bump is showy already. Here she is, aren't we a cute couple?"

Day Five.

"TGIF. I had a grade of A but I know you would still be better than me, maybe an A plus? You always nag for me to study so I did so and I had an A."

Day Six

"Our friends visited you, the most silent person I know. Why can't you talk bluntly like before, be careless and criticize me."

Day after day and day, I always come to visit Iris after some school duties, lacrosse duty and boyfriend duties but I got used to hang out with Iris all the time. But this time, it's different and it's pretty obvious.

Day Thirty Six

"We are graduating tomorrow, Iris. Can't you wake up now? I mean your grades can compensate the time you were gone. I know you would still be the valedictorian. Iris, I'm getting sadder and weaker now but the doctor said you're recovering in a faster rate now so would you be better tonight? Iris, please wake up now."

Then, we graduated without Iris in the picture.

"Melly, I'm going to Iris'. Want to come with me?" I invited Melly if ever she wants to come but then, she threw her phone angrily.

"I don't want to. I know you are giving me time just like the same amount when Iris was here but our baby is growing, I'm needing more help, and we need to get ready for our wedding" Melly explained, shouting every word and emphasizing our wedding.

"Iris wouldn't be able to witness her best friend get married to you if she is still there asleep" I reasoned. "I can't just do it to her, leave her out of the picture"

"Well, she is lucky because I'm witnessing her out of the picture but she is not witnessing me being out of the picture" she cried, trying to break up with me but I hugged and squeezed her.

"I'm sorry. I'm being selfish; my life has to go on even she's not in the picture. Please, I want to marry you, only you" I confessed, not sure if I meant every word but she seemed convinced.

"I know Iris had been there always but your life needs to go forward. Maybe that's why she's in deep slumber for you to be independent" Melly explained after calming herself and I totally agreed at her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day Forty

"I'm getting married, Iris. I can still kick out Danny for being my best man and replace him with you. How's that? Iris, I know why you aren't waking up. It's because I never apologized to you" I said to her for the last time as tears streamed down my face.

"I'm sorry, Iris, for picking a fight on day 1. I should have stayed for you to get your inhaler. I should have been there just like when you are there for me.

If ever you're confused, I lied to you because I did have that uncertainty and it still exists. Yes, I love Melly with all my heart but I love you with all my heart, body, mind, soul and everything.

I love it when you are that short. I love it when you hate sports but still go to every lacrosse game of mine. I love it when you always have this urge to beat me at everything. I love it when you call at the middle of the night just to tell me that the stars are twinkling. I love it when you cook terrible food but you love hearing how I like all of them. I love it when I miss you terribly.

Mom and your mom always compliment us being the perfect for each other and maybe they are right. They passed away so soon that didn't push us any further to realize that we belong together. I love you, Iris. I know it's cliché but I don't care because I love you, not very but so much"

I wiped my tears but I whispered to myself that it's too late because we will never be the same again because I'm about to marry Melissa Evans.