XLVI

XLVI

Wednesday 11th April 2007
8:03am

My eyes flutter open at a loud ringing sound from my bedside table. The phone doesn't stop so I abruptly retrieve it, holding it to my ear.

"What?" I answer it.

"It's Flynn, stay absent today. We don't need your help and you need rest. Goodbye." He quickly hangs up after finishing and I sigh. I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep now.

I throw the phone back in its original spot. My body hunkers up until I am sat on the edge of my bed. I rub my puffy eyes, from the crying the night before, and stand. I didn't know what was becoming of me but I hated it.

The bathroom door is opened as I enter to take a brisk shower. I had another day without being at the HQ and it drove me insane. That place was where I felt most alive.

When I get dressed, my stomach begins to rumble so I decide to make some breakfast in the kitchen.

However, when I open my bedroom door I don't expect to suddenly see a figure perched at my kitchen table.

"Ah." I yelp in shock without thinking and the figure glances towards me quickly. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I'm here to talk to you, okay."

"How did you get in, Cara?" I question, still stood in the doorway.

"I have a key." She replies. "We need to talk, something is wrong and you know it. I know it."

"There's nothing wrong." I mumble as I distract myself to find a bowl in my cupboard.

"We haven't seen each other for so long. There's obviously something wrong." She explains, her arms were crossed on the table.

"I've been busy with work." I mutter as I put cereal inside the bowl.

The chair screeches as she abruptly stands from the table.

"That's incorrect and you know it! If you don't tell me, we're done. Is that what you want? Our friendship wasted?" She looked instantly sad and worried; her eyes were filled with it.

"No, of course not."

"Then, tell me. Now." She orders and I think of a reply or to put it simply, a lie.

Silence.

More silence.

"I have a drug problem."

"What? You have what?" Her mouth falls open in shock; she was obviously not expecting those words to leave my mouth.

"I take drugs." The more the lie left my lips, the stupider I felt.

"I knew something was wrong but I didn't think that it was that bad." She states, her eyes still widened. "I'm going to do everything to help you, okay? Don't worry, I'm here for you." She throws her arms around me but I only react by putting one arm around her. My eyes stayed on the plain wall behind her, wondering how this had become my life; lies, regret and confusion.

"You're going to be okay." She was crying now, hysterically sobbing into my shoulder and I didn't know what to do.

An hour passes before she is fully content and cleaned up enough to leave. And as soon as the door slams shut, I fall back into the sofa. My head finds my hands and stays in them until I hear something come from my room.

It seemed like a beeping noise and I guessed that it must have been my mobile.

My legs stand my body from the bed and enter the bedroom. I grab my mobile from the bedside table, perching on the edge of my bed while unlocking it.

Unknown - Are you absent too?

I immediately knew who it was and I didn't know whether I wanted to reply.

Me - Yes.

I quickly change his name and add his contact to my phone, which was probably against Flynn's rules.

Harry - I understand that. You need rest since males are generally stronger.

Me - You're the one who got yourself shot.

Harry - Touché.

Me - How did you even get my number?

Harry - I did my research.

Me - Chris and Jack?

Harry - ...Maybe.