The Convention

Elegant tapestries. Extravagant luxuries. Magnificent festivities. All of this and more await us at the convention. The prime minister informed us of this masterful delight, along with personally providing us with the invitation."To the Famille Leclair, for whom the gracious light shines bright, all of the embodiments of the household name are cordially invited to celebrate the day of coronation for the man in whom reverence is concerned. Think no more of another spectacle to behold than the Reverend Beaulieu in the two days that separate us from this whimsical event. We will be looking forward to seeing you there. With warmest regards, Corton." With that, mother exchanged farewell and he departed.

Preparation commenced. My mother searched in town for eloquent accessories to accommodate the dresses we did not have yet. My father worked over time to supply the extra currency required for the cloths that we would soon wear. My brother even traded his favorite cloths for extra currency. I was left, as I was too young, to dwell with mother in searching to acquire the outfits for the unique night.

"Think of it as a convention." Mother insisted. The truth is that I was not quite as excited as the whole of my household was. "You will end up having a better time than you think. You ought to give it a go." As we passed the tailor's finished products, mother inspected each garment with intense scrutiny."

"I don't find myself with enough time to spare. You know very well of my dedications to my works. Only a few days are left until the day I must deliver." I responded.

"Yes, yes. I also know very well how far you are. Surely, you have a night to spare. You must consider at the very least this opportunity. We must take advantage of this event, for it rarely happens to our household in a lifetime." She handed me a dress.

I sighed. She had a valid point. Our household name was not very popular in town. We did not contain riches or power. Invitations like these would only arrive once in a lifetime. Therefore, I assisted mother in searching and purchasing the best the tailor could offer. It was settled: I was to attend the "convention".

I rather refer to this event as a convention, for I truly do not believe in extravagant festivities. Nothing good can come from certain gatherings. The consequences for such can be devastating.

Anyone could argue about such ideas as irrational and unreasonable. But as I progress down the steps of the famed manor, a sinking feeling won't leave my stomach and something wrong won't leave my conscious.