Chapter II

Twenty years ago now was the heart-wrenching year my daughter died. I currently work for a large technology company in which I have built myself up to have become pretty successful.

They would be proud. If they were here, and could see all I have accomplished, they would be so proud. I work hard for them. Everything I do is for them. I actually bother to get up out of bed and for them.

Today is January 19, 2022. It is the memorial of my daughter's death. She died of lung cancer. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, and think about how every year I am forced to relive all this pain. I reluctantly open my eyes and get out of bed. Groggily, I make my way to my bathroom and get washed up.

I dress in a light blue blouse and black dress pants. I glance at my mirror and add to my appearance my silver locket with a picture of my family my daughter gave to me on Mother's Day when she was twelve. Once out of my walk-in closet, which is connected to my bathroom, I go downstairs and eat a quick breakfast of granola mixed with yogurt. Grabbing my keys, cell phone, and bag I make my way to my two car garage and get into my CR-V.

As I pull out of my garage, my phone starts buzzing. I peek at the lit up screen, still watching the road carefully. There is a weather alert for heavy rain in the next hour. I look out my window at the sky and sure enough, see some clouds. I drive to Starbucks and order my usual coffee frappuccino. I decide to sit for a while and get some work done, so I take out my Mac lab top and pull up my files.

After I feel I have a sufficient amount of work done, I pack up and walk out to my car, leaving a two dollars in the tip jar. I turn on my phone before I start driving again to check my email and the time. I respond to my emails and make sure I'm not running late. It's only 7:30 and my commute to work from here is only a ten minute drive. I will be early since my job starts at eight. When I reach my work I make sure to silence my iPhone then rummage through my bag, also silencing my iPad and iPod. I walk through the automatic doors my building, which is the main building, and am greeted by the intercom that goes off whenever someone comes in, "Welcome to Apple headquarters incorporated."

**************************************************************************************************
Author's Note: All media I use is not copyrighted (probably just off the web).📱