Chapter 12

"Why...why are you doing this?" Arabella's voice was barely a whisper as tears rolled down her cheeks and Duke grinned "She isn't fit to be the Grand Guardian." he growled and Arabella snarled "I can tell you that Valkyrie will be the best Grand Guardian we have ever had! And she will certainly be a better guardian then you!" she yelled and the door to Skulduggery's house was slammed open and the great skeleton detective came storming out "WHAT IS GO-" but he stopped mid sentence when he saw Valkyrie, Duke, Lorcan and Bella stood there staring at him "Valkyrie?" he whispered and Valkyrie looked at him in surprise "Heyyyyyyy!" she drawled out and forced a smile on her face "But...how?" he asked and slowly walked towards them "Y...you are real...my hallucinations don't come in pairs."

"yes we are real." she said and she was about to say something else when she noticed Arabella's body slowly fading away "NO!" she cried and rushed over to Arabella's side "I'm....im dying Valkyrie." she whispered "No! No your not!"

"Um...who are you talking too?" Skulduggery asked and Arabella started to cry "Daddy?" she whispered and when Skulduggery didn't reply she collapsed to the ground "I'm not going to live." she whispered and Bella stormed up to Skulduggery and slapped him across the face and shouted "BELIEVE IN fUN!" and he just looked at her confused "What?"

"You need to believe in fun! Now!"

"I do!"

"No you don't! You wanna know who Valkyrie is talking to?" Skulduggery nodded "She is talking to your daughter, Arabella." he stepped back "No...no she is dead!"

"Yeah well we all are so...your argument is invalid!"

"But...but that's not possible! Why cant i see her?"

"Its because you don't believe in fun anymore...that is what she was the Guardian of...and if you don't believe then she will die...again."

"I believe in fun! I love having fun!" even though Skulduggery didn't have a face Bella could tell that if he did he would have tears freely streaming down his face "NO! ARABELLA!" Valkyrie screamed and Bella and Skulduggery looked at her "Shes gone." Valkyrie whispered and a single tear rolled down her face.