A welcome confrontation

The wooden door swung open to reveal the inside of a rather clean and sparsely decorated house, which clashed with the extravagances of Master Hwan's glorious red robe. Behind him was Shane, serious yet in thought at the reason for him being there. There was a sound of hurrying feet down the stairs, Mira jumped down the last few steps, and embraced Shane tightly. "I haven't even been here two seconds!" Shane exclaimed with the pain showing in his voice. She let go and looked up at him. Shane stood there speechless, and then after a moment grinned, which caused Mira to grin too. "I never know when I will ever do that again, I better do it when I can," she said in delight. "Welcome master," she bowed to Master Hwan and usurer them in. Mira and later Mia who finally emerged from upstairs, clambering about setting the little table and making tea. 

"Where are Anna and Ren?" Master Hwan enquired, "They are at the blacksmith's, looking at the stone tablet. Ren seems to think he knows what it says," Mira said. "That is quite interesting. But tell me, why that tablet has anything to do with a traversing stranger?" Shane grumbled, not amused or really interested at what was said. Master Hwan sipped some tea from a simple china tea cup, "It has a lot to do with him. He was been to many places and seen things, his experience far out weight yours at your age," those words seem to hit a nerve with Shane, but he stayed calm. He got up from his kneeling position, shook his legs a bit and walked out the door. "Where do you think he is going to do master?" Mia asked. Master Hwan drank the last of the tea and just looked up at her.

The streets of the town where manic in the evening sun - which hugged the horizon- while traders rushed around trying to make a few good sales before the day's end. Noticeable, with his white hair, Shane weaved his way thought the crowds, heading towards the blacksmiths workshop, and low and behold there they were, both Anna still in her uniform and a strangely dressed boy, he took to be Ren. Both sat staring at the large inscribed stone tablet that made the west wall of the work shop. "Hey you!" Shane yelled, Anna flinched and stood up after realizing whose voice it was, but Ren carried on reading and making notes in the dirt, in a language Shane didn't understand, "OI! I'm talking to you stranger!" he yelled in anger. Slowly Ren stood up. "Do all the people from this village shout at random strangers? I mean honestly, it's not very welcoming," he complained, still not turning to face Shane. "I don't know what you're used to in a welcome but I don't welcome anyone till they prove themselves." Shane said sternly. The air felt heavy as if the tension between Ren and Shane had increased gravity its self. Ren finally turned and looks Shane straight in his blood red eyes. Anna started to get really nervous and ran into the work shop. Shane clenched his fists, and Ren did the same. Shane took few steps back and stood as if he was ready for a fight. "So a fight is how I prove myself? Well in ready when you are!" Ren cried taking up his fighting stance.

Both of them stood, scanning each other and anticipating each other's moves. Then, Shane shot forward launching a devastating blow straight to Ren's guarding arm. Ren flew back; Shane launched another punch which hit Ren straight in the chest. Ren was sprawled out on the ground, dazed by those two precise hits. Shane stood over his, looking down at him, "I was sure that you would show some fight... but it looks like I was wrong" he said in disgust and with a smug smile. Anna poked her head round the wall to see what happened, and with surprise she ran to Ren's side, "Ren! Ren! Get up!" she yelled. He twitched a little as he recovered, "Oh, great you're ok," Anna sighed with relief. Ren hefted himself up and stood limply. "Don't count me out yet. I'm tougher than you think." He breathed harshly. "That remains to be seen." Shane said mockingly. The two stood glaring at each other, there gazes lock in an unseen battle to reach into each other's mind. Shane moved abruptly, then stopped mid move. "You are so lucky," Shane turned to see master Hwan behind him and distance way walking up the road with the twins. Ren let out a sigh of relief and slumped to the floor where he stood. Anna knelt down beside him, "Are you okay?" she asked softly. Ren started to giggle which turned into a full blown laugh. "What's so funny?" she asked, unsure of the reason, "That was a great fight! Who is he and what's with the hair and eyes?" "That is Shane. Master Hwan's first student I believe. And I don't really know much about him as I have only met him once," Anna explained. "Ren.... What are you doing on the floor?" Hwan enquired raising his right brow. Ren darted a look and Anna, who in turn darted one at Shane who scowled irritably at Ren with distain. "So your encounter with Shane ended with defeat and you on the floor" Hwan had hardly moved his eyes and he managed to deduce everything. He giggled and put an arm over Shane's shoulder. Both Ren and Anna looked surprised at the disregard of what happened. The twins whispered amongst themselves. "Seeing as Ren hasn't yet been home, we should go. I am rather interested at what you two have learned from the stone tablet," with that Hwan, with his arm still on Shane's shoulder, began the walk back down market street with the twins in toe. The evening sun now lay half covered by the horizon tuning the once blue sky in to a brilliant orange on.

I came up with such bad character motivations. its so embarrassing to read. At least I am better now.