Chapter 5: Strangers in the Night

So today just hadn't been a good day for me. As much as I wanted to optimistic, that's just not who I was. Choir had went better than I had expected. Calum didn't say anything to Luke as far as I knew. It turns out Calum is also in 3 more of my classes. Maybe I'll get used to his rude behavior? I almost laughed at the thought of me ever getting used to that. But I knew, even when I went home, the hell wouldn't end there. I had Marissa to deal with now! The minute I stepped into the house, she was there waiting for me.
"I've decided to take pity on you and talk to you again." She said, her arms crossed over her chest. I couldn't be more grateful that I wasn't actually biological siblings with her. I don't think I'd be able to handle it.
I nodded with a look on my face that showed I clearly didn't care. "Okay. Thanks?"
She scoffed. "You should be more grateful! I don't need to talk to you."
"You're exactly right. How about you do that instead?" I asked, walking away from her and into the kitchen. My step mother, Cynthia, was in there. I couldn't believe that they were related. Cynthia had long black hair and was probably as sweet as my mom was. Mom... I really missed her. Quickly brushing the thought of my mom away since I didn't want to start crying, I smiled and looked at her. "Hey Cynthia." She smiled at me as she turned around giving me a small wave. She was on the phone.
"Hold on." She said into the phone. She pressed the phone to her chest and said, "Your father and I are going out to dinner tonight so it's just gonna be you and Marissa. Is that okay?"
I wanted to cringe at the thought of having to spend the night with the girl who's role model was probably one of the Kardashian's. "Of course." I lied.
"Great! Thanks Val." She said, returning to her phone call. I went into the living room to find that Marissa was still there.
"I assume Mom told you that were spending the night together?" She looked at me.
"Yeah..." I nodded.
"Well, I hate to disappoint you, but I'm going out with some friends tonight." She said, looking at her nails, inspecting them to make sure they were perfect.
I immediately cheered up at her words. I had the house to myself! "That's fine." I nodded, then ran up to my room before she could get another word in.
I knew exactly what I was doing tonight. It was something I rarely got to do because my family would think it was either weird or dangerous. I was going to my secret spot in the woods.

-

After everyone left the house, it was beginning to get dark. I grabbed my sketch pad and earbuds, and started to descend the staircase. I quickly checked my pockets for my phone and keys, then headed out the back door. Behind our house, was woods. Big, beautiful, and currently dark woods. I looked around to make sure no one was around to follow me. There was really no point for that since my family wasn't home, but I did it anyway. After I made sure there wasn't anyone, I walked into the woods. If anyone actually looked for it, my secret spot wasn't that hard to find. For once in my life, I ran. Once I was there, I grinned. There stood the weeping willow tree. No one knew about this tree and hopefully no one would ever find out about it. I sat down under the tree and opened my sketch book. This is where I came to draw, as strange as that is. It's where I got most of my inspiration. I was about to begin sketching, when I saw a dark figure. I didn't think much of it at first, but then I realized it was coming towards me. I was about to get up and run in case it was a murderer, until I heard them call out the words, "Hello, Princess."

---
A/N: Hey everybody! I hope you're all enjoying this as much as I'm enjoying writing it. :-) thanks for reading it and voting for it and commenting on it and yeah XD