Chapter 1~Becca Randall

They say there is one moment in your life where you just know that everything is going to change. That moment happened to me when I was only seventeen years old. "Relatives of Mr. Randall?" The nurse walked out of my dad's hospital room. My grandparents and I stood up. We walked toward the door, but the nurse stopped us. "I think it's best that you stay out here." She said timidly.

"Why?" I demanded. "I'm his daughter! I need to see him!" My grandparents gave me a sympathetic look.

"Please sit down." The nurse ushered all three of us back to our seats. "This isn't going to be easy for you to hear. We have been trying to tend to the multiple wounds of the accident, but there has been too much blood loss and I'm very sorry to say that he didn't make it."

        It took a few seconds for the meaning of her words to sink in. Once they did, silent tears started streaming down my face. My grandparents didn't seem to understand. "Is there more surgery you can do?" Grandma asked quietly. The nurse shook her head. Grandma looked confused. Grandpa understood, and his face had turned to stone. He wasn't going to explain it to her, and neither would I. "I-I don't understand." Grandma said shakily.

      There was complete silence, so I sighed and stood up. "He's dead, Grandma! My dad is dead!" I exclaimed. Then, to my dismay, I burst into tears in the middle of the ER. Grandma started crying softly and Grandpa turned to the nurse.

        "We will be leaving now." Grandpa said in his gravelly voice. He took Grandma's hand, then mine. He led us to his car and we drove to their house. "You need to get some rest." Grandpa brought me to the guest room and I sat on the bed. Grandpa hugged me, and I hugged him back, my tears soaking his shirt. "It's all going to be okay." He said, stroking my hair lovingly. It reminded me of Dad and I burst into tears again.

        Grandpa hugged me one last time, told me to rest, and went to talk to Grandma. I lay down and tried to fall asleep, but every time I closed my eyes I saw him. My father, my closest friend, the only person I could talk to. I couldn't believe that he was gone. That I was never, ever going to see him again. We would never watch cheesy movies together, or play tennis. I would never hear his soft voice, or see his cheerful smile when I made him happy.

        All these memories were only that, memories. I rubbed my eyes. They hurt from crying so much. I had never cried as hard as I did that night. Not when my parents got divorced, or when my twin sister chose Mom over me. Not even when Mom and Kate moved to Pennsylvania, or I heard that Mom got engaged. I just held it all in, except for the occasional tear.

        I was broken out of my trance when I heard raised voices downstairs. So, being the nosy girl that I was, I crept silently out of the room and tiptoed toward the stairs. I sat on the top step and listened, as I had when Mom and Dad were fighting in those early months.

       "I don't know what we're going to do with her!" Grandpa exclaimed. "We can't just add another member to the family, Elizabeth. We're retired!" My face fell. 'This is about me?' I thought. Another tear slid down my cheek and plummeted towards the ground.

        "She's our granddaughter, Hank! What are we going to do, throw her into the streets!" Grandma shouted. My eyes widened at the thought of that.

        "You know I would never do that to her. Becca's always been a wonderful girl. And besides, I love her just as much as you do." Grandpa replied.

        "Well I'm going up to bed. I don't know if you've forgotten, but our son just passed away." Grandma's voice choked up as she spoke. I stood up and quietly ran back to the guest room and flopped down on the bed.