Chapter 4~Spencer Hastings

I stared straight ahead at the flat stretch of road in front of me.

        "Keep driving." The voice next to me stated. "Don't chicken out now, Spencer." I shook my head.

        "I won't." I had never been this determined in my life. And even though I knew what I was about to do would hurt a lot of people, I knew it was for the best.

        Suddenly I heard sirens coming up behind me. "DRIVE!" My passenger shouted. I drove as fast as I could, but they cornered us.

        "You're under arrest!" A policeman grabbed me and pulled me out of the car. I started screaming and crying. I couldn't believe I had ever thought this was a good idea.

        And then I woke up. I rolled over and picked up my phone. It was buzzing repeatedly. It was Aria. I answered it.

"Spencer," she said breathlessly. "I... need... help."

"I'm coming. I'll be there as soon as I can." I hung up the phone and got dressed in record time. I ran downstairs, grabbed the keys to my car and drove as fast as I could to Aria's house.

Aria's car was the only one in the driveway, so I ran up to the porch, threw open the door and sprinted up to Aria's room.

When I opened the door, I was surprised to see nobody in the room. There were items strewn around the room, and there was something written in lipstick on Aria's mirror.

The window was wide open and the curtains were blowing around wildly. It had a very eerie feel. I was scared, where was Aria? Had something happened to her?

My first thought was A, Mona. But she was locked up in Radley. She had confirmed that with Wren, who worked there. "Hello?" A small, weak voice said. It was coming from the closet.

"Aria!" I shouted, and I realized that there was a stick wedged in the door handle. I pulled open the door. Aria was crouched on the floor of the closet, curled up into a ball. "What happened?"

"I... can't... breathe..." Aria said shakily. Aria hadn't told any of our friends other than me yet, but she had panic disorder. She had panic attacks often, yet for some reason she didn't want anyone to know.

"You're having a panic attack. It's okay. Everything's going to be okay." I helped her up and brought her out of the closet. Her breathing was really heavy, so I delicately led her downstairs to the kitchen.

Once she was calmly drinking a glass of water, I asked her what happened. "I'm just looking out for you. I want to learn your triggers so I can help you get through them." I explained.

Aria clicked her tongue. "Well this was definitely not an ordinary trigger, Spence."

"Aria, you have to tell me what happened." I said curiously. "Are you gonna be okay?"

"I don't know. I hate to bring this back up," Aria paused. "But I think it was A." She finished, wincing.

"A?!" I exclaimed. "But A is Mona, and Mona's at Radley! This doesn't make any sense!" I was really confused and scared. Could A really be back?