Review

Reviewed By Mamta Madhavan for Readers' Favorite

Red Eyes by Jennifer Johnson is a melancholic collection of poems that speaks about sadness and pain, and the poet's determination to rise above them and transform them to positive emotions. The poems touch the hearts of readers and give them the confidence to move forward in their life, overlooking the pain and struggles they undergo. All the poems are simple but profound, revealing a tinge of sadness and pain without sounding cliched or dramatic. The poet's words and expressions, though subtle and minimal, connect well with readers, making it easy for them to understand her journey.

The book begins with poems that border on pain, sorrow and conflicting emotions expressed in poems like 'Cycle,' 'Walk Away,' 'Easier,' and many more, and it's comforting to see the poet coming to terms with the setbacks in her life, accepting them, and then ending on a positive note filled with healing and triumph. There is a sense of intimacy and honesty in the poet's voice and the poems are all about people and the feelings they deal with in their daily lives, which makes this appealing to readers.

The emotions experienced by the poet are tangible, relatable; hence it caters to the needs of all readers. The style is stark and direct and will leave them to contemplate and reflect on life and living. On the whole, it's a collection speaks about the poet's wisdom and maturity and also her ability to evolve into a better person, despite the lows in her life.