Chapter 5

Once Bennett and I were done reading the paper, we asked questions. Well, we tried to ask questions, but the only thing we got from the pilot of helicopter was "It's kind of hard to multitask when you're flying a helicopter so unless you want me to crash this thing, stop asking me questions."

So we stopped asking questions.

"So, what do we do now?" Bennett wondered aloud, though I'm pretty sure the question was directed at me. "Let's make a list of questions we want to ask these people!" I suggested, taking a notebook and pencil out of my backpack. "Why not?" he said, a hint of amusement in his eyes as he saw the doodles of dinosaurs that adorned some, if not all, of my notebook pages. We spent the next half hour blurting out ideas and writing them down. By the end of the session, our list looked like this:

1. Are our parents in on this? Did you even ask them?

2. Why us? We're TWELVE MCFREAKING YEARS OLD. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK WE ARE CAPABLE AND QUALIFIED TO FIGHT ZOMBIES.

3. Will there be any math on this mission?

4. Do we even have a choice on whether or not we go on this mission?

5. Seriously, who thought it would be a good idea to send two middle schoolers to fight zombies?

6. Will we be given equipment to fight the zombies? Because we better be given laser guns and all that crap.

7. What about my mcfreaking braces? I have to get the taken off a month from now, and then comes retainers, and dentist appointments, and this might mess up the whole thing.

8. I'm a girl. With girl problems. Yeah sure, I can channel my emotions into destroying zombies but like... ???

After that, we took pictures (come on it's not everyday you're "abducted" by a strange dude and you fly in a helicopter to what is probably your doom), doodled, and anything else that one could do on a helicopter for about two more hours.

We finally arrived in a large clearing not far from a few buildings scattered across the land. It look like we were in the middle of nowhere.

"What is this place?" asked Bennett and I in unison, amazement and a hint of terror evident in our voices.

"This is area 61. Similar to Area 51, except for a different purpose. The others will explain everything. Oh, and I'm Owen by the way."

Bennett and I walked side by side in awkward silence towards the buildings with Owen behind us, our shoulders and arms awkwardly bumping against each other. "There. That's the one. The one with the orange doors." Owen pointed at the largest building on the premises, which was similar to an office building and indeed, had bright orange doors.

We headed inside, greeted by the hurried atmosphere of people speed-walking with folders, boxes, and clear tanks with strange creatures in their arms.

A sign pointed to one of the doors read "New Saving-the-World Arrivals, This Way". "Hey, uhh, I think that's us." I said to Bennett as I pointed out the sign. "Probably." he replied. "We might as well. Wanna come with, Owen?" I asked him. "Sure, why not. I don't usually go to these meetings, but I don't have anything else to do until four o'clock and it's only 1:30." he replied after thinking it over for a minute.

And off we headed towards the door.

A/N

Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait and the short chapter! I figured you guys deserved some new material after the long wait.

Tell me what you think about including periods in this whole thing. I wanted to be realistic.

I promise I'll update soon-ish (more or less),

xoxo,

Cats On Venus