One

It was two months since Selma and Gregory Evans were killed leaving their only child an orphan. One of the few things written in the will of Selma Evans was to protect their daughter, Scarlett, at all costs. The second was for her to be under the custody of Gregory's sister Clara.

So as asked, Scarlett now lived in the suburbs of a small town named Chestnut. And to keep the promise of protecting the girl, Scarlett was to be home schooled till the age of sixteen.

Of course Clara and her family had no idea that they were now housing a ticking time bomb.

> > >

Two shadowy figures looked through the window into the small girl's room. She couldn't have been any more then four years old.

"So this is the child." A raspy voice announced stepping through the worn siding of the house and into the bedroom. The second shadow followed brushing off its dark cloak as it stepped inside.

"I know I can sense her power. She looks like her mother." The second replied.

"Such a shame about the mother such talent, such promise," the first voice sighed. "It's too bad."

"It was her own fault, she married a mortal. Look how that turned out, both slaughtered." The second said loudly.

"Lower your voice Adelphe, you must not wake the girl." The other chided.

"Sorry my Lord." Adelphe apologized bowing her head.

"Where is the protector? I specifically told him twelve," Lucius groaned. "I knew I shouldn't have trusted this job to the young one."

"Young one my ass." A new voice answered.

"Thanatos." Lucius greeted.

"First of all, I'm thousands of years old now so you can stop calling me young," Thanatos quipped. "Also I go by Wesley now, it actually sounds like a human name."

Lucius ignored both of Wesley's comments, "This is your first assignment as her protector and you show up late! " He snapped making the young girl move and make a noise.

"It won't happen again, father." Wesley seethed.

Lucius narrowed his eyes at his son, "This girl is very important, and if by some reason she does not make it to her twentieth birthday-"

"Trust father, is a beautiful thing. So all I have to do is watch this kid till she's twenty?" Wesley asked crossing his arms.

"A protection spell will be placed on her till the age of nineteen." Lucius said.

"Then why do you need me?" Wesley asked.

Lucius gave his son a tired look, "She needs to make it till her twentieth birthday, and the protection spell will only last till she is nineteen. Do you see the problem?"

"So I need to watch her for a year then?" Wesley clarified.

Lucius gave him a smile only to be described as a smile someone would give another person when they knew more then they were letting on. Wesley didn't trust him, he never did. But he needed this job to gain his status back.

He looked at the small mortal girl as she slept, her brown hair covering most of her face. "They will want her dead."

"Why would anyone want to kill a mortal girl?" Wesley asked taking his eyes off the child.