MURDER

Call to Theo, 9:27pm

["Hello?" Theo's voice is deep and hoarse from just waking up. "Arden, what's up?" I am crying. It's embarrassing but I can't stop myself. "Are you okay? What's happened?"

"I think...I think my powers might be here," I tell him, my voice strained and cracking.

"Why? What happened?" I can hear the ruffle of him getting out of bed and the screech of coat hangers.

"I just killed someone," I say. My voice is muffled and my face is in my hands.

"Holy shit. Wait there. Where are you? I'll come get you."

"I'm at the gas station on Creek Road. The police are coming," I tell him. "Can you call Scott and tell him to tell the others?"

"Fuck. Okay," his voice is in the background now and I think he has it on speaker. "I'm going!" he calls to someone.

"You can go," someone else says in the background. His mom? "Just please don't hurt him again." There's whimpering in the background and some crying. Who did he hurt?

He's screaming something now. "Are you serious? Shut the fuck up!" Then he says more quietly into the phone, "Arden, I have to go, I'll be there soon. I'll call the others." He doesn't hang up straight away and I can hear him continually screaming. "Do you know what you've just done? You stay right here until I come back. You've done this to your fucking selves!"

I hang up, shaken and confused.]