KANIMA

VOICEMAIL FROM ARDEN 💖, 9:05pm
"Hey, um, it's Arden. I was wondering if you heard what Liam said at school today? Anyway, I'm currently in a dark forest alone at night and some human company is appreciated. Please call back."

VOICEMAIL FROM THEO 👅💦, 9:10pm
"Arden, are you okay? What are you doing in the middle of the forest? Where the hell are you? Call me."

VOICEMAIL FROM THEO 👅💦, 9:12pm
"Hey, Arden, I'm really worrying right now. Please call me so I know nothing has happened."

VOICEMAIL FROM THEO 👅💦, 9:15pm
"Arden, please call. I need to know you're okay."

✱✱✱

CALL FROM ARDEN 💖, 9:37pm

["Hello?" I ask.

Theo is on the other line. "Arden, where are you?"

Brett raises his eyebrows at me. "I'm driving. Why? Where are you?" I bark out.

"By any chance are you driving towards the police station?" he asks.

I swerve the car around and the tyres screech noisily against the road. "I am now," I tell him.

The car is zooming to fast for me to be focused on the phone. I run the red light. "Maybe you should slow down," Brett says quietly.

"Can you put it on speaker?" I hand him my phone.

"Uh, hi," Brett says into the phone.

"What?" Theo asks. "Who is this?"

"This is Brett," he says. It's actually paining me how awkward they sound while I'm here trying to be a kickass action-movie driver.

"Okay, can we please just get to the point," I snap. "Do you know what Tracy is?"

"A kanima," he says.

I look over at Brett and furrow my eyebrows, saying into the phone, "What the hell is a kanima?"

Theo pauses. "Don't worry about that. Just focus on getting to the station." And he hangs up.]

✱✱✱

A/N - The way Arden and Theo's contacts are written are the way they put their numbers into each other's phones (Theo's perfectly embodies his cockiness in my opinion).