Chapter FORTY

Nico

The end of the school year couldn't have come faster. I' glad it's over as I think about the summer Piper had planned for their little group of friends in the shower, hot water falling over my body, steam crawling up from the shower floor. Combing my fingers through my hair I push the last of the suds out of my hair.

I turn of the water and exit the shower, grabbing a towel and rubbing my hair semi-dry before wrapping it around my waist. I grab my tooth brush and brush my teeth seeing as it is late and I'm getting ready for bed. When I'm done the steam fogging the mirror is gone. I look at my reflection, then down at myself, deeming myself dry enough to dress I grab my boxers from the toilet seat top when I realize it's all the clothes I brought. I frown, annoyed at the inconvenience.

I turn to leave the bathroom after hanging my towel when something in the mirror catches my eye.

Percy may be gone now that he's graduated but the marks he left will forever still be here. And they're disgusting. I'm disgusting, as I look at myself in the mirror, my back covered in pale pinkish scar marks.

A lump forms in my throat and my vision blurs with tears but tears can't hide the blemishes that forever stain my skin. I swallow thickly and I don't want to leave the bathroom, I don't want Jason to see me, or anyone to see me. But it's inevitable, I can't hide in here forever but I still hope that nobody's upstairs and that Jason's not in the room.

I flick the light off and rush across the hallway to my room. My hopes are not fulfilled as Jason lies on my bed, phone in hand, glasses propped on his head smooshing his pale hair.

I feel heat rush to my face and I look down at the dark carpet in front of my feet. I don't want to turn my back to him, I don't want him to see me, as foolish as it is.

"Hey," he says smiling, I can see him look up at me from through my eyelashes.

I feel paralyzed and the lump in my throat comes back and it's hard to breathe but I don't make a sound, I just bite my lip.

"Nico, are you okay?" he asks, getting off the bed and the dim lighting of the sunset streaming through the windows reflects off the rims of his golden glasses.

"Baby, what's wrong?" he stands in front of me, his hands gently holding my upper arms. I swallow and flinch a little.

"Why are you even here?" I blurt out, surprising myself, "you can have anyone you want! Why would you ever pick me to be with!? Why don't you leave me and find someone worth your time!?"

I look back up at Jason, tears blurring everything. He stares at me, jaw slack, eyes wide. He then closes his mouth and it morphs into a sad frown.

He places his warm hands gently on my cold sides and says, "I don't care who I can have, you're all I want, Nico. I love you Nico! What even brought this up?"

"I just don't understand why you would ever love someone as hideous as me. I-I'm broken. Scarred and disgusting!" the tears that collected in my eyes chooses now to stream down my face in small rivers and my voice cracks as I choke myself with all my pains.

"Nico," he says softly, reaching up and cradling my face in his hand.

"You are not broken and you are far from hideous or disgusting. You are perfect and amazing and so handsome and I love you. Even with your scars."

I shove him away hard, my chest clenching right where my heart is. His face holds a look of surprise.

"Liar!" I sob, "No one can love someone as ruined as me! All you're doing is lying to me! I-I thought I told you not to l-lie t-to me," my voice cracks hard and I can barely hear half of what I say and the last sentence comes out stuttering and weak.