Convincing A Queen

"You want to do what?" the queen screeches when I tell her my plan.

I sigh, thinking I will probably have to explain the whole idea over again, this time slower. "I only want to take him out of the castle for a few days," I tell her, carefully keeping myself and my voice calm. I don't want her to tell me I can't go.

"Yes, I understand that," she replies, shaking her head a little. She sounds a little calmer, but still irritated. At least she isn't screeching in that awful high-pitched tone anymore. "But I don't see how it is even remotely necessary. Edward is a prince, not some peasant boy."

I smile, wondering if Edward really is the prince his mother thinks he is. "He needs to see the kingdom," I tell her. "He's going to be their ruler eventually. He needs to meet the people and if he does he might see why he needs to accept his task as ruler."

She frowns and I can tell she has another objection. Having to be so guarded with how polite I am is making me frustrated and I'm worried that it is starting to show. "Why must you go dressed as peasants? If you took guards I might feel more comfortable."

I shake my head. This is one of the points I am very certain of. I can change where we go, even how long we leave for, but we cannot take a huge procession of people. "I don't want the people to see him as a prince, I want them to see him as one of them," I explain. "I can show him how they live and what they think of him and even what they are looking for in a ruler. If he comes as a prince, they'll barely speak to him, if at all!"

Her hesitation makes me almost certain that she is wavering. I'm tempted to smile in triumph but I hold it back. It takes her a few moments but she finally sighs and says, "Fine, I suppose you can go for a few days. Who else do you plan to take with you?"

"Conrad Harris, the stable boy, and one other," I tell her immediately.

"No!" she answers, vigorously shaking her head. "Not Conrad."

I frown, surprised by this sudden objection. "Not Conrad?" I repeat, my confusion evident in my voice.

"Conrad is not allowed to go. I'd rather he didn't spend anytime with Edward at all, but what little he does spend is already too much," she answers me.

I force a smile onto my face and make myself laugh a little. Surprisingly, this technique is actually helping me to keep from being angry. I want to be angry. I want to ask how she dares to keep her son so sheltered all the time and yet expects him to rule a nation. I have to make her see things my way. I cannot get mad. "It needs to be Conrad," I tell her, using the gentlest voice I can manage. "Edward and Conrad are close and that is exactly why I chose Conrad. Conrad will see things like I do, the way a peasant would, but Edward is already comfortable around him. He'll keep us from being seen. He'll help us blend."

"Pick someone else," she says firmly.

I shake my head, determined to stand up to her. She may be a queen, but I'm a thief. I convinced every judge of my innocence, surely I can convince her to make this one exception for me. I doubt that Conrad is truly needed, but I want someone other than the prince with me. Conrad seems strong, he'll offer some protection. Plus I like Conrad already. He seems to be a quick thinker. "Conrad is coming," I insist. "We will be safer with Conrad and if we take anyone else, it defeats the entire purpose. He'll feel the need to act royal, to be polite, and that will give us away."

She sighs, probably because she sees my point. She doesn't seem to defeated yet and I'm getting tired of countering all her arguments. "I already told you I will not have that boy going anywhere with my son."

I narrow my eyes at her, starting to get frustrated with her stubbornness. I take a deep breath. I cannot scream at her. I won't do it. "What is your problem with him?" I ask, my voice squeaks but at least I'm not yelling.

Isabella takes a deep breath, her eyes staring into mine. She takes another. Our gaze isn't breaking and I'm not sure what she's trying to accomplish but I won't cave first. Finally she looks away. "If you must know," she says slowly, looking around as if seeing if there is anyone else in the room, "He doesn't even deserve a job here. He's the son of some soldier who died in the war. My husband employed both him and his mother out of charity. He's been an ungrateful, useless boy since he got here."
I bite my tongue as soon as I find out Conrad is the son of a soldier. Her comment makes my respect for Alfred grow and my distaste for her shrink. Conrad is like me. His father was a soldier too. I look away from the queen, my brain racing through all these thoughts. It's moving too fast and I'm struggling to piece together a coherent thought that form a convincing argument.

"He's a no good, troublemaking trickster to top it all off," she continues. She shakes her head. "If my husband would let me I would have him out of here in an instance."

This added comment makes me feel for Conrad even more and it makes me infuriated. I can't let my anger show and as it boils up inside me, I do my best to suppress it. I'll never convince her if I don't keep calm. Blocking out her voice as she continues to complain, I quietly count to ten. When i reach the last number, I feel a little calmer, but I am still too close to bursting. "I'm taking Conrad," I tell her again. I hate to say it, but I have a thought that i know will help convince her. "Perhaps the outside world will convince him he really doesn't like working at your stables."

Her narrowed eyes glare into mine again and I hope she's at least considering it. Finally, she nods. "Fine. Take the wretch," she practically spits at me. It sure is not the type of behaviour expected from a queen. "You said one more is going. Who?"

"Someone to either take the horses back to the castle and then bring them back in a few days, or they can care for the horses. They will only go for the journey. They will never come into the village with us, they will stay in the neighbouring town, Granghall. I don't care who it is, but if I see them anywhere near us, I'm done. I won't convince Edward to become King. I know enough now to ensure he never becomes king ever."

She seems shocked at my threat to her. Even I am a little surprised by my boldness. "Fine, I'll send a groom," she says, a tired edge now taking over her voice.

She waves her hand in a very dismissive manner, but I'm not done. "Thank you, Isa- er Queen Isabella," I say. Her title does not come naturally but I feel like it is necessary. I know I've already pushed my luck but there is one more matter and I don't want to wait for a later day. "Since we will be going as peasants, I will need rougher clothes," I say. "I need trousers and shirts... Also... I'd prefer to wear them in the castle rather than dresses and gowns. For formal occasions, I could dress up I suppose, but every day I would rather I didn't. Edward will need more ragged clothes as well."

She shakes her head, sighing again. "Fine Lark," she says.

I carefully bow slightly before I leave. She's bothered enough by me, I don't want to rub in my obvious distaste for her. I back away a few steps before turning and hurrying to the doors. Once there, I pause turning and saying, "If you don't mind, please tell everyone to be ready and in the stables right after breakfast." I pause for a second before adding, "Thank you."

I dart out of the room before she can respond. As I navigate the halls, I wonder if King Alfred would have been easier to convince. At least he seems to like Conrad. It's too late now. She's agreed and it's all decided.