Opening Up

I'm in a fairly good mood as I go back to my room. The idea of going home is filling my head and putting a bounce in my step. I haven't been this happy since I got here. When I reach my room, my heart sinks a bit. Elaina is waiting for me. She's pacing and it seems to me that she has been waiting a while.

"Where have you been?" she demands when she sees me. I would answer, but she doesn't let me. "I checked the library. You weren't there! Prince Edward said you'd stormed off. You were supposed to be with him. I searched everywhere for you. Do you know how much trouble I'll be in if you show up late somewhere because I can't find you in time?"

I get the feeling she will keep yelling at me a while longer so I place my hands on her shoulders and firmly say, "Calm yourself Elaina." She stops talking and stares at me a moment and breathe a sigh of relief. "You had something to tell me? Where am I supposed to be?"

"You're supposed to dine with Edward for lunch," she tells me.

I raise my eyebrows, surprised she'd gone all over the castle looking for me due to such a small matter. "That's it?"

She shakes her head, a smile beginning to take over her face. "There's more," she says, pausing. I begin to wonder if I should start guessing what the big surprise is. "Prince Charles will be there too!"

My groan comes instantly. I just want another meal in peace. I begin to wonder if only breakfast will allow me to be alone. I could probably handle Edward alone. I'm going to spend time with him whether I like it or not, but Charles? I look up to see Elaina's smile has faded and she looks almost hurt. "I'm sorry," I say gently. "I know Charles is a hero to people. I know he's handsome and well liked. I know that. I just don't see it myself. He isn't all that to me. I want to go home, not spend time with him."

I'm glad to see a smile beginning to return to Elaina's face and she even starts to laugh. "The only person I've ever seen come close to having a chance with Charles doesn't even want it."

I laugh with her because it is an amusing thought. Most girls would do anything to meet Prince Charles. "I'm different from most," I comment, shrugging a little. "I don't want to marry him so he doesn't impress me. I'm looking for someone more... down to earth. If I even decide to settle down."

Elaina nods her understanding. I assume settling down isn't even much of a decision to her. "Do you need to change before you leave?" she asks.

I shrug, asking, "Have the trousers come yet?"

"Yes they have," she says. "But you know you can't wear those."

"I can do whatever I want," I reply. "Especially once I have the queen's permission." I open the door to my room, seeing the trousers in a neat pile on my bed. "I'm done with gowns and dresses."

Elaina follows me into the room, putting the trousers and shirts away for me and leaving one pair. "You'll be dining right by the library. There's a room there and it's where Prince Edward normally eats," she tells me. "I expect you can find your own way now."

I nod, thanking her. She stands there for a moment or two longer until I say, "You can go now."

Once she's gone, I change into the shirt and trouser, breathing a happy sigh as I feel like myself again. They aren't my normal clothes, there aren't holes or worn patches, but they are much better than a dress. I pace the room a few times. I'm probably late already, but after my discussion with the queen I need some time alone to regain my head.

Once I'm more relaxed, I leave the room and begin hurrying down the halls. Each corner makes me slow and think about where I am going. At last, I turn the corner and the smell of food hits me. I see the doors to the library and off to the right is a smaller door. As I get nearer to the small door, the smell of food grows stronger and I know I am in the right place.