Chapter 12: End

2 Weeks Later:

(Shizuo's POV)

Izaya and the other patients at the burnt down asylum have been transferred to an abandoned asylum down north. The abandoned asylum is even farther away from the city, it's as isolated as ever.

By the time the police got to the scene to track down whoever was responsible for starting the fire, all the cameras have been smashed. Props to Izaya and me for smashing every camera's lenses with a baseball bat. Since the police had no concrete evidence to arrest the most reasonable suspect, which was Izaya, he was off the hook. And for Mr. K's death, Izaya convincingly lied to the police about his death being a so called "accident."

After the patients settled down in the other asylum, Izaya invited me to go see the remains of the old asylum. And so, here we are...

"Waah~" Izaya exclaimed, "The asylum looks way better like this!"

I took a good, long look at the asylum. Windows were shattered, ash was everywhere, and even the door to the entrance was missing. We walk around the exterior and I can see Mr. K's now stained blood smeared on the ground. We make a loop around the asylum until we were back at the start.

"Wanna go in?" I suggested.

"Sure!" Izaya ran in.

I follow him and we make it to the courtyard. Izaya stops at a tree and stares at something. Half of the tree was burnt off and the other half was barely standing.

"Look!" Izaya traces the carving, "I + S, remember that?"

"Of course I do," I went over to him.

(Izaya's POV)

I step back so Shizu-chan can look at the carving. I stood up straighter and took a deep breath. The air smells fresher without the stench of other people.

Hey.

Who was that?!

I'm talking to you stupid.

Who are you?

What are you talking about? Did you already forget me? I'm Izaya.

As in...

Yup! The one who guides you through your breakdowns!

Get out of my mind!

Haha, even if I wanted to, I'll be stuck with you forever.

Get out!

I just wanted to remind you about something!

...What?

You'll be having a breakdown soon!

...

Don't worry! I'll be the one physically and mentally controlling your body! But your soul gets to stay and watch the whole thing!

Leave!

Hmm, I'll give you a few seconds.

My chest suddenly feels a lot lighter, it's like the other me left. I look at my hand, it was trembling, I glance over at Shizu-chan. I'm scared. What's going to happen to me?

"S-Shizu-chan!" My voice croaks out.

!!! I felt like there was something in the waistband of my pants. I traced the outline of the item with my hand...  It was- !!! I clutch onto my shirt. It was getting harder to breathe. My chest feels tight and I feel like my lungs would explode any minute. My throat was dry, I tried to cough it out, but after every cough my throat just kept getting worse and worse. My vision is blurring, I want to black out, but even though I'm mentally ready to black out, my body won't let me.