IV

We are way past our curfew and we didn't care. Maybe not 'we'. Maybe its just me. Tonight, Jennina will turn 18. It's time for her to experience life.

My boyfriend, Elijah, brought us to a party. Elijah's friends are quite different. Hell, Elijah is different. Life with him is breathtaking and extreme. Jennina didn't like him one bit.

I had a lot of drinks already and it was getting hotter each second.

"You said this would be fun!" Nina was crying already. She started pulling my arm. "Let's get out of here."

I pulled my arm away and said, "Stop it, you baby! This is life."

"This is your life! Not mine!" I think I saw her leave but I didn't care. What a baby.

I walked towards Elijah and saw him smile. "I think I'm drunk."

"You know what I like?" He leaned closer and kissed my lips hard. "You getting drunker."

I smiled as I got a bottle and chugged it. He went closer to me, held my waists and started kissing my neck.

 ---

Nina opened the curtains and yelled, "Rise and shine!"

I groaned and tried reaching for the blankets. She pulled them away and jumped beside me. "Wakey wakey! Eggs and bakey!"

"Oh shit. My head is exploding! Stop shouting."

Nina became quiet and still. I looked at her and said, "You must really hate me."

She smiled. "True, when you're with 'him'."

I stood up and went to the bathroom. She followed me and asked, "Will you do something for me today since you ruined my birthday last night?" Then, she smiled.

"Fine!" I heard her scurrying off while singing happily.

After taking a bath, I wore my pink knee-length dress and paired it with black boots. I grabbed my phone and sent Elijah a text message:

Babe,  got to baby sit my sis tonight.I can't remember what happened last night but I know we had fun.

I went to the kitchen and saw Nina wearing the dress I gave her. It has hawaiian flower prints that suits her happy mood today.

"Where we going sis?" She was jumping up and down. Damn, she sure is excited.

"It's a secret."

"This better be good!"

I texted Venice and told her to pick us up. I saw a message from Elijah.

Babe,  we got a pot session tonight. You said you want to try it. You gonna miss that for your sis?

Yep sorry babe.

"Ven's hereeee!" Nina shouted in a sing song.

I asked Ven to prepare a slumber party for Nina. I invited her old friends in Oakhill. This is her kind of thing.

 ---

We were at Ven's house. I always see Nina happy. But, this time is priceless. She was with her friends in the backyard, throwing water balloons at each other. Ven and I were chilling at the kitchen counter.

My phone chirped. I looked it up and saw a message from Jude, Elijah's friend.

It was a photo of Elijah on top of a girl I don't recognize. I felt my blood rush to my brain and I started sweating. Ven leaned closer and saw the photo.

"See! I told you so." Ven didn't like Elijah, too.

I forwarded the photo to Elijah and waited.

"Bad people do bad things."

"I'll talk to him."

"Talk to him? Are you crazy? Break up with him!"

My phone received a message from Elijah.

Who the fck sent you this babe?

I replied:

We need to talk.

My eyes started to tear up. Ven came closer and hugged me. "I can't imagine--" I choked. "my life without him." I can't stop shaking.

"You can't what? Dude, he's the worst! He's like your puppeteer. No, wait. He's the strings. And you're the hand. You know why? You just got tangled up but you can always get a pair of scissors to cut him off."

I looked at my phone and read the message:

We don't need to talk about anything babe. that picture is not real! tell me who took it

I replied:

I did fcker.

After sending it, I think a big nail was pulled from my heart. I am done with Elijah. Hopefully..

 ---

I went early to work to keep my mind off Elijah. I was too occupied with my work that I did not notice Paul, the delivery guy, calling my name. I jumped when he held my shoulders.

"Jennifer Dovey."

"Shit. Yeah. That's me." I saw a boquet of flowers and my blood boiled up. "Paul, uh, who ever sent me those, can you tell them I'm not interested."

"If they ask why?"

"I'm busy with work and my family."

"Pay up."

"Right." I grabbed my purse and gave him five bucks. I was left with my work after that.

 ---

Days passed like that. I would go to work early and come home late. 

One day, I went to my favorite restaurant to eat lunch. I saw Elijah waiting for me outside. When he saw me approaching, he ran towards me and held my hand.

"Babe, please, forgive me."

His face was really sincere and it looks like he haven't had sleep for days. I was thinking of going back together with him.. I came closer to him and held his face with my two hands.

"I think--" Then my phone rang. I checked it out and saw that mom was calling. I answered it.

"You have to go home, Nif."

"Mom, its kind of complicated--"

"Your sister--" my mom sobs "-- is gone."

"What do you mean?" I only hear my mom crying in the other end. "Mom! What do you mean?!"

"Babe?" Elijah became worried.

I heard Ven comforting my mom and taking the phone from her. "Just go home, Nif." She hung up.

I stared at Elijah and kissed his lips. He kissed back. I backed up, walked away and whispered, "Goodbye Elijah."