VII

I was staring at the clock again. What kind of a job is this? I'm so bored!

I grabbed my phone and started to play Snakes. After a while, I received a text message.

hey nif. this is officer Luke. i got news

Luke and I decided to create a code so that I'll know its really him.

sorry. forgot. code unicorn. meet me?

I laughed out loud. He's really awesome. I replied:

sure

I started drumming my fingers on the table. I can't wait to see him.. I mean, I can't wait to know who my stalker is.

mom's house? lunch time

I managed to smile for the day.

 ---

I was preparing lunch with Teresa when Luke came. Actually, I didn't know at first. Not until she told me to open the door. This woman got mad skills.

Luke was surprised to see me. "Oh hey!" He smiled.

I smiled back. "Come in-- in your house."

I heard Teresa laugh.

"That's okay, Nif." Luke patted my head, went to the kitchen and hugged her mom. Just like before. "What's for lunch?"

We all sat down at the table and ate together. Teresa and I cooked Chicken Curry, Luke's favorite. I was thinking of a way to start a conversation when Teresa caught my attention and pointed a finger to Luke. I smiled.

He was definitely enjoying the food. Having a conversation is not important after all. Besides, I think Teresa wants to enjoy her food, too.

After eating, Luke insisted on doing the dishes because according to him, cooking is tedious. I sat down with Teresa on the couch as she did her cross stitch. Being close with Teresa does not require a lot of effort. It's quite amazing actually.

Luke came and gave his mom tea. Teresa waved us to go to the backyard to do our talking.

Once we were there, I said: "Your mom is amazing."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I think she knows the sound of your tires on the road."

"Yep.. She can recognize it from probably 30 meters away." We smiled together. But, after a second, his smile was gone. "Okay, so here's the thing, Nif."

He cleared his throat and held out papers. His team tried to trace my texter through his number and got unreliable results. That's why, he said, my stalker has to call me or the other way around. "He can't be in Southbridge. He could just be using some people to do stuff for him."

"So, what do we do?"

"Hm. What do you want to happen, Nif?"

If he's my sister's killer, I'll see to it that he goes to jail. "I want to find him."

"Okay. I have thought of a plan. You can tell him to meet you. I'll just stay close."

I sighed. My stalker is not that stupid. "That's too easy."

"I know. This is just the first step. For sure, he won't come in person. Probably one of his people will."

"Okay, Luke. I trust you."

He stood up from his chair and went closer to me. He looked at my eyes then hugged me. "I got you."

---

So, here I am again, watching the clock. Luke told me to wait for him before I text my stalker. Waiting is my thing.

Paul came in and embarassment flowed to my body.

"Jennifer Dovey."

Damn it. I stood up and faced him. "Look, Paul. I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it." He smiled and gave me an envelope.

"Thanks." He left. I sat down and opened up the envelope. Inside was some sort of a checklist.

work check!

family check!

Luke?

I stared at the paper with confusion. Is this from my stalker again? But, what does it mean?

I grabbed my phone and texted Luke.

I think i got another one. code butterfly